suitable stock.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked if I could make a replacement hatch cover for a yacht... apparently the original iroko one has warped like a banana inspite of some heavy aluminium strapping added to it to prevent such a thing...

I've minimal experience of exotics like teak etc so was wondering if there are alternative species that'd be suitably resistant to the extremes of weather / conditions that such a hatch would be subjected to...

Any suggestions...????

Approx size is a meter squared...

Iroko and teak are the boaters favorite timbers for outside . Id be tempted to buy the timber and leave it on their boat for a few months before working it , if in the uk they wont be using it for a while . Once you've made the hatch rub in pure turps and rub down and apply 16 coats of varnish mixed with pure turps rubbing down between coats .
P.S my other hobby is boating so they will understand that it will take a while to make it as the tide waits for no man :D

thanks for the info JFC.... my guess is that iroko would be the best bet to try again given that there's a ton of it in the boat already... I'm guessing teak would look kinda outa place...

16 COATS...???????? and ALL of em sanded in between...??????

this guy better appreciate this... I tell ya....

;)

Yup sixteen coats , with just a de-nib rub down . It seems pointless until the fith coat when you start to see the build up and then i promise you will enjoy it . Even more if you can do it on the boat :lol:
For a more stable hatch you could use marine ply and lip it with solid timber . Dont look at local stock marine ply , there is marine ply and MARINE PLY , im sure you can get iroko faced m/ply in anchor quality m/ply from silverman . Hope this helps .

Back