Suitable relay for 3 wire control on Chinese VFD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am looking to buy a suitable relay to enable me to have three wire control on my Huanyang VFD.
It will work great with two wire control, but since I have a NO start push button, and a NC stop button, I need a relay,
The inbuilt relay on my Huanyang inverter is faulty, and I am not bothered returning it,
as I have heard that this is not uncommon on the newer batch Huanyang drives.

It is for a tablesaw, so I want to have a hands free off button, rather than two wire control/toggle switch.

Can any of you steer me in the right direction to find a suitable relay?

Would this relay be suitable for instance?

Thank you

Is anyone going to chime in on this?
The OP is referring to the "common" or "RST" reset terminal what does not work for 3 wire control like this
DSCN2230.JPG

As it's for a tablesaw, I have advised him that a paddle switch is a lot safer than a toggle switch ala two wire control.
He has bought the correct push buttons and made a paddle already, something along the same lines like this.
IMG_20170421_101613.jpg

SAM_2105.jpg

The component has failed (for no reason) on my Huanyang VFD also, but his never worked from the get go.
I had an older HY inverter I damaged, so was able to swap the front panel with the old one, and was back in business again.

What is this component called?
Its titled "common" on the larger Huanyang units, and on other VFD's, but I have heard of folks calling it a relay.

It's just for momentary switches and nothing else complicated, like isolation from the supply for instance.
Just to have his NO start, and his NC stop button work is all I'm asking.

As I said I have the older damaged VFD on the shelf, and am willing to operate to find out what the problem is with it.
At least I know that it wasn't omitted from the design, so not a red herring.
I only have a regular multimeter to check it out, but if its of interest to someone I will be more than happy to follow instructions.

I also have another Isacon/Askpower brand what does not have this feature, or it never worked, so I was presuming that it's just another
VFD accessory?
Can anybody give their insight? anything at all would be a step closer.
I haven't searched the keyword "common" as it sounds like google would just give me ridiculous results.

Thanks folks
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN2230.JPG
    DSCN2230.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20170421_101613.jpg
    IMG_20170421_101613.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 93
  • SAM_2105.jpg
    SAM_2105.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 141
A relay won’t do any switching on its own, it will need power and a switch to energise it and operate the contacts.
Common is used for lots of things common contact on a switch, common ground etc, probably in your case the contact that gets switched between the NO and NC contact/lines to the controller.

Pete

Thanks Pete
I know little about anything of the sort.
I was going to get back to you once I had learned more.
This question was asked on SMC and it looked like one member was suggesting that sort of thing.

One had the answer for the failed RST/relay/common, and it was to look for a solution in page 36 of the manual regarding the terminal ports.
The functions of 6 terminals can be changed to act as the relay.
One is FOR, the second is REV, third RST, and the other three are for spindles which might complicate matters for all I know.

A suggestion to the OP was that the REV terminal could be programed to act as the RST by changing the parameter to 4,
which is what the OP done using the REV terminal and setting Pd045 to 4
Thanks for your response none the less

Tom

i wish to thank tom for all his help sorting this problem out .
The startrite 275 is working flawless now with the paddle switch , using the chinese VDF im really happy with the saw ,its not as loud as the hobby saw i have and ive had no problem using a 13amp plug in my shed .

Latest posts

Back