Suitable finish...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First post - so here goes... I have made a number of fiddle back sycamore mirror frames, that my wife would like to go in our bathroom. I have finished the surface so that it is pretty much perfectly smooth.

I am looking for advice on the type of finish that will give a matt/satin finish that is tough enough to cope with the damp and warm environment.

I would also like tips on how to prepare between coats of (whatever you recommend) so that I maintain a floorless finish.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

Several options spring to mind, obviously including a good quality varnish which I'm sure you've already thought of.

Alternatives include Finishing/Danish Oil, applied as per instructions - usually apply, leave 10 minutes, wipe off the surplus, allow to dry for 4-6 hours, then repeat a couple of times. Sanding between coats is optional.

Or, our Acrylic Satin Lacquer (aerosol version) would be a good option. This gives a very tough, hardwearing finish suitable for use in a bathroom with the required sheen level. We recommend using a sealer first, either Cellulose or Acrylic. Simply spray, leave to dry, lightly sand, spray again!

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply - I've looked at your web site and I am going to give your aerosol Acrylic Satin Lacquer a go.

Cheers, Dave

Just had a weekend using your aerosol acrylic satin lacquer that has performed very well - thanks for the recommendation.

Back