Suitable Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on whether these dust extractors that i'm looking at are suitable for me. I'm happy that these filter a fine level of particle and are quite quiet, but would they be powerful enough for using with a bandsaw and router though? If possible id also rather get something which doesnt need new bags and filters being bought so save money.

Fein Dustex 40 Wet & Dry Extractor

http://www.axminster.co.uk/fein-fein-du ... rod806760/

Axminster Numatic NV750

http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-numa ... rod782719/

Thanks, any help would be great.

Unless your bandsaw is a very small bench top variety I doubt very much if either will give sufficient airflow to be effective.
Bandsaws tend to distribute the dust around pretty well both within their cabinets and around the table area and need a significant air volume movement more than absolute suck to entrap it.

What size dust collection port does your bandsaw have?

Hi. The port is 50mm diameter, it's more on the smaller side of bandsaws but not the smallest.

I'm also looking at getting a small planer/thicknesser one day, maybe just a benchtop type.

Go for the next model up in the numatic range, thinks its about £100 quid more but well worth it. Ive tried it in axminster tools and its is seriously powerful. It has 2 x 1200w motors whereas most extractors of this type only have around 1200w including the numatic one you link too. It comes with a 35mm hose for your smaller power tools but also has a 100mm hose to accomodate your future planer thicknesser needs.

Interesting, thanks.

I think im going to get one of the dust seperating systems too, to reduce the amount of new bags id have to buy. Something like the cyclone central, or even make my own.

Would some of the bigger units that are the high volume low pressure be good?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod580436/
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod855540/

I only have small area to work in so if I can id just like the one system. Perhaps I could use ducting, though I think you need more powerful units to do that?

Looks good. Might follow that one myself, but with a larger bucket.

I think ill go with one of the numatic drum types. Seems like its a choice of the Axminster, Camvac and Record.

Yeah, that was the plan here as well.

I can get a big barrel thing with an airtight lid, about 25 gallon I think, so as space is tight in the workshop the plan is to put it outside the shop and bring the hose in through a hole in the wall and empty it once a week or so. We won't be generating THAT much dust unless we end up in there every day working but the way things are going that may well end up being be the case :D

Not sure what i'll use for the barrel. Being airtight is probably the most imporatant thing.

I know you can get some kind of strong water barrels like you use for camping which already come with a good sized hole. Most of those the holes arnt in the centre though, im sure ill find something though.

I don't think it needs to be in the centre, I don't fully grasp the cyclone effect but I think within the cone the cyclone spins faster and faster toward the narrow end and centrifugal force throws the dust outwards at the bottom of the cone while the air is pulled inwards and back up to the outlet in the centre. I think the air in the bucket is probably stationary and the dust just falls into it.

I could be wrong of course, I am looking at it from a storm chasers point of view and speculating LOL

And if it does have to be central, you could always cut the top off and make a plywood lid with a circular groove routed in it to fit over the top of the barrel with a rubber strip in it to maintain a seal?

Back