suggestions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07 ... d%3D119949

Read this with interest as I want to turn an old calor gas bottle into a small forge

My question is if the male above had filled the drum full of water then emptied prior to cutting, would it have got rid of all the fumes.

In addition in my situation following the removal of the valve if I fill the bottle with water then empty will it evacuate all the residual gas and make it safe to cut????

You need to fully open the valve/regulator to relieve the pressure, then remove the valve from the bottle. Then fill with water and drain. You won't have any problems after that. My brother in law has made several engine oil burners from old gas bottles.

they say to let the water sit in the bottle for a few days to let any gas be absorbed. then drain. the gas is heavier than air. I have never done so, but there were some good posts on (IIRC) the mig welding forum. Also, (again IIRC) the valve thread on top is left handed.

Back