Suggestions for joining worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsellis

Reaction score
This may be a silly question as i am new to all this wood working but I am in the process of creating a table and bench set, however i need to make the table top 1500mm x 700mm but only have available to me 3000mm x 600mm worktop.

So i plan to cut this down to join together, i will be joining the flat non cut sides together.

I plan to use biscuits / glue to join the 1500mm sides together, however I was thinking on using either these easy fit kitchen worktop connecting bolts where you screw them into the work top to draw them together.

Or the other plan was to use the standard kitchen worktop bolts where you router out the holes, but if i use the first option then could i then remove these once the glue has dried or even need to use them at all?

Attachments

• 7D03DA33-58F1-4A4F-A213-6DA011B381DB.jpeg
    7D03DA33-58F1-4A4F-A213-6DA011B381DB.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 16E6180D-F969-4039-B4D5-95927A4C34DB.jpeg
    16E6180D-F969-4039-B4D5-95927A4C34DB.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 5
I would use the standard bolts.
Use loose (none glued) biscuits to line up the top surfaces.
I think any glue would eventually fail.

Welcome to the forum.
I used to stay at (live) in shore st in Thurso .

Agree with the above. The only issue to watch for is that the 'standard' bolts are not pulling it up close to the centre line and may try to open up the joint on the top surface (assuming you are bolting from underneath). The recessed worktop 'bones' pull up closer to the centre line and tend not to do this, but you are left with the recessed pocket. May be worth clamping on some cauls across the flat surface to counteract the tendency to open the unclamped side

I think it would look better if the join was down the middle rather than a third across.

Just my opinion.

Cheers James

Can you get some of the matching jointing compound for the joint? I recently had new worktops and the joint on the old ones was really strong. Wouldn't break with a hammer. I had to jump on it to break it. It would be a good colour match too

Back