Suggestions for budget £70 cordless drill and accessory drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erbaur from screwfist.

I was once known as the drill killer. Titan through dewalt via makita would tremble as i approached. Granted i dont work with them anymore but the 18v erbaur has stood the test of time were others have failed.

I'd go Ryobi because they have so many other tools you can buy bare to share batteries.

Or Stanley fatmax which is basically rebadged DeWalt but cheaper, few other tools though.

Wickes have a new range out too. Not sure of quality though. I had a Wickes jigsaw and it was carp.

But if he's really serious then it pays to buy into a cordless system Ryobi DeWalt Bosch Makita etc.

Cheers James

the bosch 12v can be had for 80 including batteries and a charger, which is a cracking deal. I've had mine 7 years now and it's been fantastic.

is go ryobi, have been using my started set of a pair of drills for the past few years every day and they are still going strong. Don’t feel as refined as a DeWalt but they do a good job and loads of cheap bare units (especially the blue tools)

Erbaur from screwfist.

I was once known as the drill killer. Titan through dewalt via makita would tremble as i approached. Granted i dont work with them anymore but the 18v erbaur has stood the test of time were others have failed.
My vote also, I bought the 12v bundle ages ago, been good so far with me, I do wish I had waited for the 18v as everything seems to be 18v now when it comes to spares.

What did you go for in the end?

A member here Chrisbaker offered me a new Bosch GSB - l20i, with battery, charger and case, unwanted pressie, at a most competitive price. This will work well for my nephew, I have bought him a set of accessories to accompany, as I have seen his drill bits and pieces before.
I have a few Bosch tools myself, the GSR 12v-15FC and the large planer, very pleased with both.

I bought this when I needed to quickly replace my blue Bosch.
2 years later it’s still going strong.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msdd18-li-2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-drill-driver/873fx
I bought that one several years ago. Apart from drilling, wire brushing and screwing, I use it on the lathe for sanding. It's had some serious abuse dealing with nasty bits of wood on the lathe (mostly on account of nasty turning) and it's still going strong. Two batteries, bit slow to charge but never been an issue. Amazed at it tbh.

Is 12v what was once badged as 10.8v?
Yes it was. Exactly the same system, I heard they rounded the numbers up for the 'merkin market. I really rate it as a system - I've used the drill and impact heavily for DIY and workshop use, and I use and abuse the nibbler daily at work. I keep the 3" grinder, hoover and jigsaw in my van as well as a get out of jail card - they're so much cheaper and smaller than 18v stuff and they all fit in one small box.

I have an old Bosch 10.8v drill driver and it is fantastic. It has been used and abused for 10 years or so now and it keeps going and going.

Back