Suggestions for a small dust/chip extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I need an extractor for my small workshop that will sit under either of my benches. I have a small lathe, a medium bandsaw and an 8" p/t. Does anyone have any thoughts on the entry-level one from Axi:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod794272/

The reviews seem to suggest this smaller unit is very noisy - is this something I can expect with any extractor?

I already have a microclene air filter, which I find cleans the air well, and I use a Trend respirator for all but minor sanding, but I want to capture more dust before it gets into the air.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Hello Noggsy,

I have one of these & it is very noisey ..& a bit rubbish ..if p/t means Planer/Thicknesser then this is not what I'd recommend. The filter & motor is right up against the inlet & so I have found it blocks very easily. I bought it as it was the only one I could get easily that also fitted into my then very small setup. I only use it as a vacuum now to vac the floor around my bench.

I then went for an 1/2Hp free standing chip extractor & that was better but not great & it was bulky (I suppose I could've made a plan to modify it if necessary) but because it did not do well across my small set-up I got a Record DX4000 (on here for a good price) & it is brilliant- very powerful ! It's not too noisey either.

I know of another chap who recently got an entry level Axi chip extractor & he's fed up with it already after little use & he only has a small P/T & sander.

For fitting under a bench, you're probably looking at multi-motor vacuum extractors. I have the DX4000 too and I rate it highly, it's not quiet but then power tools aren't either and I don't find I need ear protection unless I'm using my noisiest tools like routers. Would be a bit quieter under a bench too. Alternatively Axminster sell the Numatic extractors or you can go down the Camvac route, both of which also get generally favourable feedback from their owners.

THanks to both for your thoughts...not the small Axi one then! I'll look out for a DX400, thanks again.

Back