Sudden Oak Death...The Westcountry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The report they showed at lunchtime was saying that it is mainly larches that are being affected and felled. The pictures of the felled wood looked like stacks of 4ft long pieces which I assumed would be sold as logs.

I'm not sure how effective this felling is going to be though as they said the disease is spread by wind dispersed spores.

Misterfish

PS. They also said it is affecting rhododendrons

Misterfish, I don't know how true it is but they were saying on the news that the Rhododendrons are suppose to be the carrier's of the disease.

Cheers :cry:

Mike

jimi43":1xkibcwh said:
Anyone know what they are doing with the felled trees?
Jim, in the first ten seconds he says "...this is some of the larch we are felling that is going off to market shortly.." :p
And Mister fish, you must have HUGE feet, those are whole tree trunks he is standing next to, and unless he is from Lilliput I'd say they must be at least 20 feet long :lol:

The accompanying text says that it is Japanese larch that is infected, and a few other articles say that rhododendrons are the main carrier in this country. There is a huge list of species that can be affected, though apparently beech and red oak are particularly susceptible and the english white oaks (Q. robur and Q. petraea) have some resistance to the fungus. TheForestry Commission factsheet has a good summary.

Fact of the day: the form of P. ramorum in North America is of a different sexual mating type to the fungus in Europe. So apparently we know very little about this organism except its sex life :shock: Much like most of the so-called celebrities nowadays I guess :lol:

I reckon it would be no great hardship to put a torch to all the rhododendrons in the country. Can't stand 'em. If it was a question of oak or rhodo-wotsit, oak every time.

I'm with you there Rog. Seems like they've learned some of the lessons of Dutch Elm and are being quick and severe

I'm with Roger too on that one...bloody rhododendrons are a pest...and not particularly attractive until they flower....

Jim, in the first ten seconds he says "...this is some of the larch we are felling that is going off to market shortly.."

What I actually meant was...where are they selling the oak cos I want some....please....

I am usually up before the larch anyway! :p :p :p 8) :oops:

Jim

Ah, I see. Well, you could try this contact from Forest Enterprise, the executive agency of the Forestry Commission responsible for timber sales:
Forest Enterprise":3lkqvwjz said:
Peninsula Forest District
N Best
Bullers Hill
Kennford
Exeter
Devon
EX6 7XR
Tel: 01392 832262
I have to warn you though, that they generally seem to sell their timber in large lots of the order of a few hundred tonnes apiece. Might be a little more than you want :)

Latest posts

Back