Such a nice day outside

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I decided to make the most of it.

I donned my clean red bandanna and JB Stetson to tackle a job that's been on the cards for a while.

The wooden floor on my trusty Ivor Williams trailer has been in need of repair for a looong time.

With this recent dry spell it has dried out and lifted at the corners.

IMG_20220813_181302_983.jpg

I picked up some pre loved :) 6mm aluminium chequer plate a while back but unfortunately my 40+ yo B&D grinder isn't up to cutting it.

IMG_20220813_181308_988.jpgIMG_20220813_181319_848.jpg

So work has ceased until Monday.

Suggestions as to what I should get to cut it welcome.

I cut up the old floor to fuel the woodstove.

I was surprised how solid it was except for a few places.

IMG_20220813_181523_646.jpg

Hi Artie,
I too need to do my trailer at some point. What sized grinder do you have and what disk were you using?
Being as its aluminium, its #possible# you might be able to do it with a circular saw or jigsaw. They tend to recommend high tooth count (60 or 80 ) and being 6mm, you'll probably want to go slow... a normal tct will probably be fine, but evolution do some good metal blades for circular saws.

I'd go for a stihl petrol saw to cut that, it will be more comfortable and you'll have more control over the cut
Screenshot_20220813-205619_Samsung Internet.jpg

Obviously with a metal cutting disc rather than the one in the pic

I'd go for a stihl petrol saw to cut that, it will be more comfortable and you'll have more control over the cut
View attachment 141641
Obviously with a metal cutting disc rather than the one in the pic
Interestingly i recently got a 14" blade guard and blade for my ts400. It was 12" but i found it was available as a 14" too. The only downside is the water spray pipe doesnt reach now ( easy fix )
Anyways, i was assuming Artie doesnt have a disc cutter as he used a grinder 👍 being woodworkers, we've probably all got circular saws

Interestingly i recently got a 14" blade guard and blade for my ts400. It was 12" but i found it was available as a 14" too. The only downside is the water spray pipe doesnt reach now ( easy fix )
Anyways, i was assuming Artie doesnt have a disc cutter as he used a grinder 👍 being woodworkers, we've probably all got circular saws
True but they're cheap to hire for a day or two

I have a Rage twin blade 155 saw. It eats aluminium. It has twin contra-rotating TCT blades which nibbles the material away. It cuts rather than abrasive wheels. Not sure how it would cope with prolonged cutting thick material, Probably OK if taken easy.

I have had it for years and still on the original blades. You have to make sure you cut straight or the blades bind. I used it for cutting up an old garage with lots of nails. I had the side of the garage propped on a step ladder. As I cut along the timber, I also cut most of the way through the step ladder without noticing! What a dunce!! 😁

I would also try a hand held circular with a TCT blade. As @baldkev suggests, Rage make some good metal cutting blades. They work great when new, but don't last long with steel, but Al. would be easy for the blade to cut.

Hi Artie,
I too need to do my trailer at some point. What sized grinder do you have and what disk were you using?
Being as its aluminium, its #possible# you might be able to do it with a circular saw or jigsaw. They tend to recommend high tooth count (60 or 80 ) and being 6mm, you'll probably want to go slow... a normal tct will probably be fine, but evolution do some good metal blades for circular saws.
I would also try a hand held circular with a TCT blade. As @baldkev suggests, Rage make some good metal cutting blades. They work great when new, but don't last long with steel, but Al. would be easy for the blade to cut.

Today has been quite an education.

I have an old Makita saw which I retired many years ago, I just dig it out when there's something iffy to cut, maybe something which may contain nails etc. or concrete on one occasion.

So out it came today for a try at 6mm aluminium.

I was quite shocked when it sliced through it easily.

I went slowly and the blade was still cool enough to hold after cutting a 48" strip.

The cut was very clean.

IMG_20220814_134534_365.jpg

I'd never have thought of using a circular saw. Thanks

glad it worked for u...
but watch out the ally can melt and stick to the blade...
they make special blades for cutting ally.....
I'd love to be working with ally but 2 grand for a TIG is outta my range.....

Rolling thunder for the last 40 mins and as I type the downpour has started. Dog is growling at the window, not sure if it is the storm or the fact that next doors cat just got back from it's holiday 10 minutes ago and was lying in the dogs outside bed. buggered off now the rain is on

Latest posts

Back