Stupid question about Planes !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have recently discovered the joys of woodwork and having dropped many hints for tools for a recent birthday I was pleased (?) to receive a cheapo screwfix #4 plane. Now I haven't touched a plane since school (many, many years ago) so hence my stupid question.
The plane appears to be assembled and set OK, the blade is sharp so why do I only get a few bits of dust when I am planing and no nice shavings ?
Stupid question I know but I have a lovely piece of Oak that I desperately want to smooth and the frustration of failure is driving me mad. Any advice or directions to relevant websites welcome.

Thanks to guest for that question as I was going to consult the ORACLE ie. Alf :wink: on a similar subject but this pretty much covers it!! :D
Cheers,

Gary.
P.S. Ta muchly for the cracking links once again Alf. I'd love to see your 'Favourites' list on yer Browser!! :shock: :wink: Must be bluddy HUGE

I dunno, Neil, in the hand tool section again?! You're slipping... :wink: Any moment now that Supersaw will turn into an apple-handled, Disston thumbhole rip. :lol:

Gary, I do have, er, one ot two bookmarks, yep. It's all under control though. Yep. Ab-so-lute-ly. I'm not a c*ll*ct*r... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

Alf":om55lguq said:
I dunno, Neil, in the hand tool section again?! You're slipping...

Third time this year. Now, that is a confession.

I would like you to know that I am the proud owner of a hand plane made by some company in the US, now let me see, oh yes it starts with an L :roll:

Bought when the dollar was low. :wink:

I keep looking but I can't seem to find the tail.

Of course, I hold you totally responsible for this madness.

Cheers
Neil

PS Should I change my avatar if I enter this holy sanctum?

Latest posts

Back