stupid purchases.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":1daaqxrf said:
As I made yet another bench hook, I just wondered - why on earth does anyone of average intelligence buy them?
They are available commercially, so someone must!

All of life - and I mean, all of life - is a trade of money for time and time for money. I'm not sure that the way some of us spend our time makes us more intelligent than the way some people spend their money.

I think some people might buy them (even if of average intelligence) because as a complete beginner they may not have the confidence to know that they are able to make one themselves.
You might extend the argument to a lot of what woodworkers do - is there anything (power tools aside) woodworkers use that could not be manufactured at home? Steel billets, I grant you, might be a tad difficult, but plane blades? Check. Saws? Check. Chisels? At a push, check. Straight edge? With a little effort, probably. Winding sticks? Yep. Shooting board? Check. Mallet? Check. Bench? Many threads on the subject. You see what Im getting at?
Perhaps a bench hook is about the easiest 'tool' to make (apart from a push stick or clamping caul), but that doesnt mean it's easier or quicker (see post above) to do so.

Cheers,
Adam

If you need 30/40 for a school the bulk buy and delivery will be cheaper than the labour time of a technician making them.

On the other hand they would be an ideal term starter project for all the kids in the class, 'make your own bench hook', then use it.

Well it was a long time ago now, but I'm pretty sure a bench hook was the first thing we were taught to make in the Woodwork class?

Rod

You could also ask why anyone of average intelligence would make a chair when they're so cheap at Ikea?

phil.p":2kwmpjtn said:
As I made yet another bench hook, I just wondered - why on earth does anyone of average intelligence buy them?

A bit judgemental, don't you think?

custard":3s4q4g7v said:
Teckel":3s4q4g7v said:
phil.p":3s4q4g7v said:
Did you ever make any chairs??

I make them all the time. Doesn't mean it's rational, but it's my choice, bit like the decision to buy a bench hook.

Exactly...so why would one knock anybody for doing it.
As was said in a previous post it's a bit judgemental.

monkeybiter":32bwuuxy said:
On the other hand they would be an ideal term starter project for all the kids in the class, 'make your own bench hook', then use it.

yeah but:

Like benches, you need one to make one!

Unless the Woodwork teacher cuts the parts; defeating the object?

So, just nail a piece of softwood to your bench top to act as a sawing-stop. What's the big deal with a bench hook! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let me get this right!
BTW Custard wasn't knocking anyone. He just said he made chairs all the time.
Phil said he asked people why they bought chairs instead of making them.
or have I missed summat? :?:

Teckel":39b7lg89 said:
I make them all the time. Doesn't mean it's rational, but it's my choice, bit like the decision to buy a bench hook.

As was said in a previous post it's a bit judgemental.[/quote]

Not knocking anyone, just pointing out that decisions that appear irrational to one person are perfectly sensible from another's perspective. I chose to illustrate the point with an example of something I do, chairmaking, that someone else may find potty.

To return to the bench hook example, what about an absolute woodworking beginner that doesn't know where to source hardwood but wants a decent bench hook...in order to start making bench hooks! Or say an electrician who occasionally needs to knock something together and wants a bench hook to rest on a Workmate, or an upholsterer who wants a bench hook to hold cane dowels steady? The list goes on...

Let me get this right!
BTW Custard wasn't knocking anyone. He just said he made chairs all the time.
Phil said he asked people why they bought chairs instead of making them.
or have I missed summat? :?:[/quote]

I know custard wasn't knocking anyone he was merely making his point as I was.

Yup...
I got a new one for Christmas as it happens.
Great bench hook. So I don't need to make or buy one!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS does anyone want an old worn oak bench hook? Just one careless previous owner.

custard":dj2blkzj said:
Teckel":dj2blkzj said:

As was said in a previous post it's a bit judgemental.

Not knocking anyone, just pointing out that decisions that appear irrational to one person are perfectly sensible from another's perspective. I chose to illustrate the point with an example of something I do, chairmaking, that someone else may find potty.

To return to the bench hook example, what about an absolute woodworking beginner that doesn't know where to source hardwood but wants a decent bench hook...in order to start making bench hooks! Or say an electrician who occasionally needs to knock something together and wants a bench hook to rest on a Workmate, or an upholsterer who wants a bench hook to hold cane dowels steady? The list goes on...[/quote]

Apologises custard if it sounded like I was having a go at you. I wasn't.. And I know what's involved in chair making. I've made reproductions from Chippendale to heppelwhite to balloon backs. I've done a good few at this stage and I think chairmaking is a trade in itself.

MickCheese":31q39tlq said:
Scouse":31q39tlq said:
phil.p":31q39tlq said:

A bit judgemental, don't you think?

Are you being serious or have you missed out the smilie?

Mick

No, I didn't miss a smilie, I was being serious.

Back