Stupid finishing question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDoe2689

Reaction score
I live in Spain, we bought a place (loads of land) with an outside covered area. I converted this area into a living space. The wife then said something like, "we're moving the kitchen into the new living area". Fair enough. I converted the open steel tube framed area into a living space using pine and glass. I'm alright with structural side - not so good with the finishing. I'm going to attempt to attach a photo of the kitchen worktop. I've cut the wood (need to cut out a hole for sink but that's no problem) to size and it all fits together nicely. I used our thicknessing machine to take the chamfer off some flooring, they call it Tarima here. It's 21mm thick. Anyway, it just needs sanding now. The question is how to finish it. I'm a bit clueless. We like the natural light colour of the wood but could do with something that will protect it from spills etc.

Stain it and wax it?
Apply a polyurethane resin?

What do you suggest? My apologies for the stupidity of the question!

Attachments

• 04e393f3-fb96-42af-97ec-e4bdfe7f18cf.jpg
    04e393f3-fb96-42af-97ec-e4bdfe7f18cf.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 105
A lot depends on what products are available locally.Here osmopolyX is a favourite Generically i'd look at floor varnishes possibly waterbased ones for hard wearing finishes and floor products are generally quick drying. Two to three coats after a thinned coat worked into every bit of end grain should do the trick.

Hi John, I'm also in Spain....29110

Most of my life I've used Tung oil on timber tops, only problem is its not readily available in Spain and it take ages to dry.....even in Andalucia!
Osmo oils are good, for food prep areas Ive just started useing osmo top oil.
If your looking for Osmo product's I've been using https://www.lloes.com/
There in Valencia and there service has been very good.

Remember with solid timber tops you need maintenance!

Jonathan.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Back