Stumped on making miniature window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseT

Reaction score
Hi all
Workshop newbie here, and beginner woodworker too!!
I've been making a model of a log cabin (approx 2ft sq), it's made almost entirely by hand with whittling knives and chisels from scrap timber rescued from skips, so it is not meant to look "nice".
I want to have the windows fit flush to the outside when closed, with a sill on the inside. How then do I fit the hinges so that they are hidden from the outside? I tried to fit hinges inside the recess but the hinged side of the window snags on the frame. Either I'm doing something very wrong or I'm trying to do something that can't be done.
It's too late to use pins top and bottom as the walls are already built, obvs with the openings ready to take the frames, so I have to use hinges. Any clues or links to a solution?

Try Soss hinges, they do pretty small ones where you just drill a hole for them. They fit in the side of the casement/ frame and don't have leaves as such. So you don't see anything inside or out.

Ollie

Try Soss hinges, they do pretty small ones where you just drill a hole for them. They fit in the side of the casement/ frame and don't have leaves as such. So you don't see anything inside or out.

Ollie
Great idea Ollie. Not heard of those before. Many thanks.

I like Soss hinges and use them for hidden doors and openings. Just check their technical drawings because depending on the thickness of your window stiles and soss hinge size, you might have to place the hinges off-centre otherwise the window won’t open fully never mind 180 degrees.

Latest posts

Back