Stuff for my BA submission in August. AKA Welcome to The Dark Side.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I'll let you know what grade I got in due course.

I must get on with all the shiz that's been put off while I've been carving and gilding, and I'll post some photos of what's on display at the show next week.

Thanks Adam for your superb write-ups and i am astounded at the quality of your work. It's been a real eye opener and your skills are amazing.

One thing you mentioned was a frame you made a while ago for a Milan museum - I'd love to see the finished article with its painting.

Jeff

Welcome to Adam W's degree show private view.....

View attachment 115842

Thanks for watching.

FIN!

I'm off to fix the handbrake on the car.

Very impressive Adam. Mirror above another piece reminds me of my nephew’s wife’s prize winning graduating pieces from her course

Attachments

• D5B358C6-0892-44E6-B2AD-5F6B45F2EAF8.jpeg
    D5B358C6-0892-44E6-B2AD-5F6B45F2EAF8.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Adam for your superb write-ups and i am astounded at the quality of your work. It's been a real eye opener and your skills are amazing.

One thing you mentioned was a frame you made a while ago for a Milan museum - I'd love to see the finished article with its painting.

Jeff
I wanted to gild and polychrome it, but the curator wanted to keep it natural. I'm not sure why, but it's her choice and I'm sure she had a reason for it.

pelosi.jpeg

No grades as yet, but I got a couple of prizes which was a treat.

The Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers prize for best carving student. Sponsored by the J&C but awarded by the college. Apparently it's the first time it has gone to wood, ever, and I was pleased to break the dominance of stonecarving and fly the flag for lovers of lignin everywhere. The J&C were suitably thrilled for one of their own to finally take it, so that made my evening.

The City and Guilds Award for gilding and decorative surfaces 2020. There was no show last year, so they kept it back.

Not a bad result, and it was nice to meet the people who have been so generous in supporting me over the last three years. Now I have to endure a week of waiting for the grade to arrive.

I can confirm that I've enjoyed watching this thread develop as I indicated I would in my earlier post, a long time back, I suppose.

No doubt you're keen to see your assessed grade, but I strongly suspect the result will be very positive. The awards you've already garnered for the carving you've undertaken bode well for your final assessment. Slainte.

PS. Did you manage to persuade the college they really needed a copy of my printed twittering? Just curious.

The grade arrived and I got a first, so I'm very happy. When I started the course I never imagined that I would get anywhere near that, as my precision was way off, I couldn't draw and I'd never done any carving.

I still can't saw in a straight line though.
I'm sure you'd have been awarded a zeroth, if that were a thing!

Well done Adam. Ritchly deserved.

I was at Windsor Castle yesterday and the chapel was open. I was fortunate enough to get to visit the knave and it was absolutely stunning the quality of the craftsmanship is beyond. I can understand why you would want to become part of this kind of tradition. Good luck in York.

I was thinking of this thread yesterday when trying to wrestle my moulding planes into submission on a much simpler picture frame.

well done on getting a (well deserved) first. Enjoy York, I can’t walk past the Minster without stopping to look at the carvings and if the masons are out I can happily lose an hour or two watching them.

Back