Stuff everywhere

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link to interesting one car workshop, might give you some ideas.

https://finewoodworking.com/FWNPDFfree/011160044.pdf
The article in your link can also be found in quite a good book by Fine Woodworking, the books content covers many different workshops of various sizes with some great ideas on not only setting up workshops but also storage, it must be pretty old as I’ve owned the book years.
As @SammyQ eludes to some of the ideas are a little oid hat these days but still a worthy read particularly if your setting up shop or modifying.

Anyone remember the article that suggested fixing jam jars full of nails/bolts/screws to roof joists or walls by their lids. It was going to change my life til a mate who tried it pointed out what happens when a row of glass jars filled with shrapnel and just above head height meets a 4x2 being flipped end to end....not all storage solutions work well!

I think it is worth picking up @DOUG's point - "old hat" - and expanding it into a wider consideration :

There are some themes that have been repeated endlessly (a reflection of the ease of use of the internet). They are not necessarily helpful, ergonomic or good practice - in terms of budget, material used, or even, safety.
My personal bugbears would include the plywood (or sheet goods generally) 'worship'; "french cleats" and hands within 150mm or 6" of an unguarded table saw blade. Your mileage may differ, as the idiom goes.
The danger here is fresh DIY-ers, keen to create, see such a plethora of repeated emphasis on said practices - and, crucially, lacking a seasoned mentor - they embrace these techniques as gospel.
I think we need to be more discriminating, with reasons provided, re promulgating so-called 'accepted practice'. I am in no way saying I am the Ayatollah SamQ, but I AM asking for healthy debate and the rationale for something being clear. The Domino thread on here is a VERY good example of that, where the 'pros' have explained things well.

Sam

They say a picture paints a thousand words.

YX5tNX0.jpg

I have a decent sized shed 15m by 5m, but I also have 18 wadkin machines in their at the moment, plus a mountain of accumulated spares and tooling. I did plan on laying the 4k wadkin flooring which are in there as well this year. Its been a good year for finding my holy grail machines. Oh and theirs another 8 machines outside.

I used plastic home shopping crates which were going free when Sommerfeld's went bust.

Only problem I've found is they do tend to collect dust unless you have them fitting close to the framework / bench.

I have yet to find a decent way to store leads as they lend to get tangled.....!

Cheers James

My personal bugbears would include the plywood (or sheet goods generally) 'worship'; "french cleats" and hands within 150mm or 6" of an unguarded table saw blade. Your mileage may differ, as the idiom goes.
The danger here is fresh DIY-ers, keen to create, see such a plethora of repeated emphasis on said practices - and, crucially, lacking a seasoned mentor - they embrace these techniques as gospel.

Harsh on french cleats :whistle: I used them because right now they give me the option to make easily adaptable storage that will inevitably change over time - right now I have 4 chisels for example (excluding the two Stanley ones I use as tin openers) and so cleats give me the ability to put stuff easily to hand that I own now, but move it later on when I get more chisels. There's some lovely cupboard units on interweb that are inspirational but also made by people who have a vast array of tools that they can make a custom-built home for.

Plywood is good for making workshop stuff, I'll never use it in any furniture, I'd use solid beech underneath veneering as otherwise I'd feel like I was cheating. Then again I don't make kitchens where the stuff is essential.

No arguments on the table saw thing, way too many unguarded blades on YouTube.

french cleats :whistle: I used them because right now they give me the option to make easily adaptable storage that will inevitably change over time - r
Hmmm. Yes...but they ARE prodigal in terms of material and time. I see them as diverting workshop time when you could be creating things. May we beg to differ? "Your mileage may vary"?

Agreed on ply, it HAS its uses, particularly to give stability in furniture where it's unseen. My rant is against its use for its own sake; just looks 'unfinished'.

Sam

Hmmm. Yes...but they ARE prodigal in terms of material and time. I see them as diverting workshop time when you could be creating things. May we beg to differ? "Your mileage may vary"?

I completely agree that I could be using the time to make proper things, except I have no space to make proper things until I sort the carnage out. Most of my smaller tools are currently housed in a baking tray and others in an old drawer that doesn't seem to have a unit anywhere. I'm building in a lot of redundant space into the system so I don't buy a new item and instantly feel the need to make a cleat for it :LOL:

I just had a massive clear out in the workshop following a new roof, extra storage racks etc, All tickety boo then set about refurbing a mig welder, now where did i put that spare gas valve & hose......... you guessed it it went in the scrap last month!
But on a slightly different note re Wallace's shed full of wadkins, Is that a DNA frame i see standing in the middle? I had one of those once. Had it stored in a lock up at the farm & it got nicked for scrap, I still have the 30" wheels for it,any good to you?

Hmmm. Yes...but they ARE prodigal in terms of material and time. I see them as diverting workshop time when you could be creating things.

Sam
That's how I felt about them, especially these days. But may resort to the same later on as they are a good system in principle.

"Facknell" Robbo...let me guess...Whitworth, B.A., Metric, gas thread, bicycle thread, nails, pins, washers, ummm...ummm...

Sam

P.S. Alan Coren, "Punch", about 1983.

Back