Studwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I going to build some studwork wall's, so I asked a friend of mine how he lays them out.

He told me if he was doing 400mm centres for arguments sake, he clamps the head and the sole plate together on there side. Then measures from one end say the left end 400mm and strikes a line over the pair and puts a x mark to the right hand of the line to mark the spot. He repeats this 800, 1200, 1600, and so on. The studs get nailed at the x and not on centre of the line.
I asked him wouldn't the plasterboard not finish on a stud, he told me you can move the plasterboard over to reach the centre of the stud and because the next one is staggered it becomes a none issue. Also if your having a corner the plaster board on the corner moves the board centre. I have drawn it out in sketchup and I can see were he is coming from.

Would be interested in other peoples thought & opinions

I do it a similar way. Mark out for the first stud, then mark 2nd from the centre of the first stud and use an off cut to mark the edge from the centre line. Then carry on marking 400mm from the outer line of the 2nd stud. That way you keep the centres correct for plasterboard etc.

Obviously measurements are altered to suit the boards being used.

Mark-numbers":1b08g60i said:
Why 400 centres?

600 centres are the norm.

Mark from the lhs end to 600mm then 600mm from that first mark onwards.

Were do you put the stud, middle of line or to the right of it?

johnfarris":3ff4m7yp said:
Mark-numbers":3ff4m7yp said:
Why 400 centres?

600 centres are the norm.

Mark from the lhs end to 600mm then 600mm from that first mark onwards.

Were do you put the stud, middle of line or to the right of it?

What's the difference as long as you get the centres right and use the same method each time to avoid errors.

I put up a lot of stud walls and where I start is usually dictated by how I want to set out the sheets of (usually) pplasterboard. It can be advantageous sometimes to start the sheet edge at a doorway for instance and scribe the last edge to the wall,

Centres mean to centre of the stud so middle of the line.

If you cut a piece of timber at 556mm you can use that for in between studs - based on the timbers being 44mm thick. This way you can spike the nails or screws in from the sides of the uprights.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense?

carlb40":2jkkak04 said:
I do it a similar way. Mark out for the first stud, then mark 2nd from the centre of the first stud and use an off cut to mark the edge from the centre line. Then carry on marking 400mm from the outer line of the 2nd stud. That way you keep the centres correct for plasterboard etc.

Obviously measurements are altered to suit the boards being used.

Hello just tried this out in sketchup & I understand what your saying thanks

I wouldn't use 9.5mm. Let's through more sound more heat and it's mega flexi compared to 12.5mm. I'm a qualified plaster and we always recommend 12.5mm. There's no real cost difference either tbh.

Back