Student Furniture on Show-- Leeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
Graduates of the course I run at Leeds College of Art, ie, BA(Hons) Furniture Making and the FD in Furniture Making students have their end of year exhibition opening this weekend. All visitors to this forum are invited to come to the exhibition, review their work and talk to some of the students stewarding the show, and even perhaps talk to me if I'm around at the time of your visit.

Because it's been decided that the course is to be closed down in a couple of years, and opportunities to see the work of new entrants to the industry are are diminishing each year, it would be nice to think that as many people as possible take the chance, before it's too late, to see what furniture students achieve during their time at college.

Dates of the exhibition are:
* 16th June 12pm- 6pm
* 18th-20th June 9am- 8pm
* 21st June 9am- 5pm

And the address is:
Leeds College of Art
Jacob Kramer Building
Blenheim Walk
Leeds, LS2 9AQ.

Further information can be found by clicking on the link below. There are also other exhibitions to view because graduates from several other courses show their work at the same time, so there's plenty to see. Slainte.
http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/home/news-ev ... /revealed/

For the usual reasons I think in the main Paul. Furniture students need a big footprint to effectively learn, eg, studio, bench area and a good or better set of machines in a machine shop. Students on many other courses need far fewer facilities, equipment and space, therefore fewer outgoings. The course is relatively small with, currently, 37 students spread over three years whereas some courses take in 40 or 50 students at year one and maybe lose a few year on year, hence there's a big difference in income generated. Application numbers for my course were down this year by about 30%, in common with quite a few other practical or vocational courses around the country. Finally, because it's a relatively small course, I, as course leader, tend to be in a position where I have my finger in just about every pie regarding the running of the course, along with a relatively heavy teaching load across all year groups, and it was asked that if I got sick, or left, who'd be able to pick up the threads? That's about it really as far as I recall. Slainte.

Hi Richard,

I'm really sorry to hear that your course will be closing down. It will be a big loss.

Have you thought about setting up your own training facility?

Thanks,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":pcntu2lh said:
Have you thought about setting up your own training facility? Neil
That's one possibility Neil, but I haven't yet decided what I want to do when the course closes. Slainte.

Back