Stud wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
As building materials are hard to get at the moment I am doing some rescheduling, so..

I need to build an internal stud wall.
One side will have that sheet for tiling and the other plasterboard and skim.
All I want to do at present is build the frame.

I skip dived a pile of wood stud work that came out of another house so I think I am ok for timber.
Questions:
What size wood should I be using?
This is just a check that what I have is ok.
What is current normal spacing of verticals?
What spacing for noggings?
I may well go ott with these because one face will be tiled floor to ceiling

I had planned to consult my plasterer, but don’t want to bother him at the moment.

How tall is the wall, and how wide is it? Is anything big hanging on it (like a toilet pan, for instance)?

Normally studs are at 400 centres max, but have a think about where fixtures and fittings will fix to the wall, and get some studs in there if possible. If you go to 600 centres, which is do-able, you'll need to use thicker plasterboard (15mm). Walls are generally of 95x45 timber, but small partitions can be of 70x45. The back of a cupboard can be of 45x45 in some circumstances. Noggins are sensibly centred at 1200 off the floor to allow plasterboard to be placed landscape rather than portrait, or for half sheets to be used.

Thanks Mike,

Nothing will hang on the wall either side.
No fixtures other than wall sockets just above the cupboards
One side will be tiled the other just plastered but will have kitchen cupboards to bench height only.
It’s 11ft long
Need to check height :roll:
Will use 400 centres then...thanks for the advice on that, saves checking.

Just measured my timber it’s 4x2 assume the 4 is the depth?

If you intend to tile, may I suggest using indoor cement board or tile backing board . It adds a lot of strength to tiled walls and does not suck up moisture like plasterboard does.

AJB Temple":1lfay1wb said:
If you intend to tile, may I suggest using indoor cement board or tile backing board . It adds a lot of strength to tiled walls and does not suck up moisture like plasterboard does.

That’s the plan on advice from my tiler :D
But thanks

Nothing will be hung of except 300kg of ceramic tiles.
4x2 at 400 centres and set flats at 1200 as suggested although im equally happy to put fullsheet vertically and tie it across the middle.

lurker":11j8tb61 said:
AJB Temple":11j8tb61 said:

That’s the plan on advice from my tiler :D
But thanks

Rough side out and I personally seal it to make sure there are no adhesion issues if tiling isn't your forte. Please don't do the "swirly thing" with the adhesive, tiles won't stick well as air can't escape as you press them on, straight lines and use the right trowel notch depth.

Pictures :)

Thanks
But I know my limitations!
I am worse at tiling than I am at painting :(

My tame plumber however is excellent , but it's going to be a long while before he can get in.

Back