Stuck plane blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I have a Bosch PHO16-82 plane and cannot remove the blade; it is jammed. I have tried WD40 and white spirit to loosen it but no job. Any suggestions pls?
Thanks in advance

Hey, yes, have changed previously. Have tried tapping ... but it really is jammed. Tried a fine blade tapping from the top, then the bottom .. .nothing :(

Assuming that at the mechanical fixings have been slacked off adequately I'd be looking at it being held by rust or wood resins.

Have you turned this particular blade over previously? If so, maybe the blade had a residue which has compressed and stuck hard?

If you can stop the cutter head turning and hit the edge of the blade hard with a punch you may be able to shatter it....

Heat is a good sometimes for stuck things.
With extreme care, as this isn't an ideal situation, I'd have a fine blowtorch across the length of cutter block and blade. Prepare for rapid application of a punch on the blade, either on end, or as above, on exposed cutting edge and a damp cloth to cool things rapidly.
Be careful with the heat.
Cheers Andy

For future reference, Plusgas or a similar penetrating oil is a better option than WD40 to loosen blades and other metal parts. It will work faster and be more efficient at getting where it needs to be. Also kerosene is a good option as it will soften any wood resins if they are present and the cause of the bind.

never mind my reply, I mistakenly assumed we were talking about a hand plane.

Back