Stuck on 995, NOW 1,000 and counting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'd thought by now that we would be celebrating 1,000 members, but we have been stuck for the last week on 995.

I don't think the forum has ever gone that long before without a new member.

Oh well, we'll get there soon.

Cheers
Neil

What would be nice is if a few more people were on-line.

39 users as an alltime high of on-liners - we must be able to push that up surely :?

McLuma

It would be nice if a few people from ethnic minorities joined us. I'm sure woodwork isn't exclusively the province of the white caucasians who seem to predominate here.

Gill

Did i miss something Who is Marge :!: :oops: .

I don't think we are refering to Marge as in the otherhalf of Homer, or are we :wink:

Gill":hl3aeo8b said:
It would be nice if a few people from ethnic minorities joined us. Gill

Do I count? We think the Maskery family originated in what is now Oman (there are towns and tribes called Maskri there today) and we know we came from France (before 1285). So at least bit of me must be foreign.

Failing that, I can offer a Chinese tongue-twister:

chipper-dopper-dooper-doppy-chipper-dopper-dooper-doppy-chipper-dopper-dooper-doppy-chipper-dopper-
dooper-doppy-chipper-dopper-dooper-doppy-chipper-dopper-dooper-doppy-chipper-dopper-dooper-doppy-

...don't ask, it's something disgusting to do with grapes and spitting.
Honest.

That's my multi-cultural contribution.
Cheers
Steve

Gill":2b11c6nn said:
It would be nice if a few people from ethnic minorities joined us.
Sigh. Perhaps if we stopped classifying certain perceived types of people as "minorities" we wouldn't have to go round taking special care to include them 'cos we'd all be just "us"... Me, I just think it'd be nice if a few more woodworkers joined us; don't care who, but more neanderthals for preference... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

ethnically non-specific and gender unspecific Alf":15jwhkhc said:
Perhaps if we stopped classifying certain perceived types of people as "minorities" we wouldn't have to go round taking special care to include them 'cos we'd all be just "us"
:D

Yup. You're right, Alf. How else could I express myself though, without tying myself up in politically correct knots?

Gill

Alf wrote
Me, I just think it'd be nice if a few more woodworkers joined us; don't care who, but more neanderthals for preference...

Who cares were they come from, as long as they are into woodworking and can learn- and share- from/with us

and of course, can show some nice pics of their achievements (eventually) :wink:

McLuma

ethnically ethical and gender specified Gill":2mtb8d7n said:
How else could I express myself though, without tying myself up in politically correct knots?
Ach, it's a minefield all right. But as members of a minority ourselves (female woodworkers) doesn't it bug the heck out of you when it's made an issue of? :(

Cheers, Alf

I haven't noticed sexism being an issue here, except for the very rare specimen who tries to have a bit of distasteful fun and soon gets a rejoinder from other members. We all seem to be accepted here for the nature of the work we produce and the quality of the posts we contribute; and that's as it should be. If there's a bit of banter, then it's all good natured enough.

It's just that I can't help thinking it would be nice to have someone from Japan* who is used to working wood differently to how we do it in Europe. Or how about some of the wonderful woodworkers from the Erzegebirger (? spelling) in Germany? Or how about Eskimos who could tell us about how to build kayaks in the Arctic? Or Indians who know about the wonderfully ornate decoration of temples?

The forum would be greatly enriched by such people.

Gill

* Not forgetting Chiba, of course! :)

Well Gill why don't you just say that :!: :!:

People from different countries :p

Does it count that

I work in Germany
Live in the UK
I am Dutch
and I am married to a scottish lady :wink:

McLuma

Gill":dlj75zcy said:
Dust thou meanest "Inuits"*...? :wink:

To the folks of Surbiton, Hull or Pant-y-girdle I say "fear not, you may not make kayaks in the Arctic or temples in the Punjab, but I'm sure Gill will still be welcoming". :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Someone's bound to pick up this one, so for the record: Inuit is "PC", but inaccurate. Inuits are one group, and the Yup'ik object to being lumped in with them apparently, and would prefer "Eskimo". Go, as they say, figure. :roll:

Alf, whatever they call themselves, I just want to know how they build kayaks in the frozen vastness of the Arctic. You don't see many trees growing in gardens outside igloos.

;) :D

Gill

Alf":1aety2iz said:
I don't think you see many gardens outside igloos

My point exactly! And I'd love to see a kayak made out of snowdrops - just don't ask me to test one out amongst the icebergs.

:D

Gill

well Gill let me tell you how they build them then :wink:

because i do not think we will get a visit of an eskimo to tell us how he builds one :p

They use the bones from the wales / seals and other animals they have killed to build a frame, then the use the skin of the animals they have killed to dress the frame and voila its done

ps they do use the meat of the killed animals

McLuma

Really? I always thought they made the frames out of wood. It just goes to show, you learn something new every day.

Right, Charley - it's time to open a bone-working section on the forum so that we can appeal to a wider audience 8) . Or doesn't such a prospect float your boat?

Gill (who's soooooo sorry she corrupted this thread
Tin+hat+smiley.gif
)

Back