stubborn stains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimad

Established Member
Reaction score
good morning to everyone .
can anyone tell me what I can use to remove stubborn stains of my laithe without removing the paint
I have some splashes of sanding sealer and friction polish I forgot to clean up after a job, then went on holiday and when I came back it was baked on !!! :shock: and any advise would be appreciated.

You could try the solvent used in the sanding sealer to remove it. Failing that something like T cut might get rid of it.
I'm sure some others will have some different ideas for you to choose from, good luck.

Once you've got rid of it put some Renwax on the Lathe to stop stuff sticking to it in the future. :wink:

Sorry, it's Renaissance Wax. It's a microcrystalline wax that many use in wood turning, there are other brands.

Meths is the solvent used for sanding sealer and friction polish (unless the sanding sealer is cellulose based of course!) the meths will eventually remove stuff without damaging the paint, but if you use cellulose thinners to clean, it could well remove the paint as well.

I the surface is horizontal then I would pour a little meths on it and leave it to soften the polish, then wipe it way, it will evaporate of course but not too quickly.

I still keep one of those little paint scrapers (for window pane's) next to my lathe for just such splashes of dried on stains (including the sprint from superglue). Physically removes it but judicious use avoids lifting the paint. I find that technique useful when the stain in big and lumpy and solvents cant lift it.

Back