StrumlikeStick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wingate

Established Member
Reaction score
My latest build. A G tuning Strumstick.
Strumstick2012.jpg

Looks good Mike, but for the musical klutz's around here, mostly me...what's a Strumstick? - Rob

Hello Mike,
That's an interesting concept. As you have used dulcimer fret positionings, does this mean that you play it on your lap using a pencil/dowel, or hard to do, but possible, fingers?
Ah,but as it also has the look of a balalaika, and with the fretboard, it would be perfectly reasonable to play it guitar style, which would enable a good strum session :) So I'm guessing that is the preferred way. So what made you choose that fret layout rather than conventional fretting; not to mention single as opposed to double courses ? What woods did you use for the build? So many questions.
Oooh, you have got my fingers itching. If only my workshop was finished, and that I didn't have a whole house to make storage for, not to mention a kitchen. But I will finish the guitar that I started 30 years ago first. :shock: :wink:

Regards...Dick.

Ah, I missed the link whilst writing.

O.K. Dick, some reasonable questions. Tuned G3 D4 and G4, so always plays a chord. Good for blues with a slide, and Chuck Berry stuff with 1 finger on the middle string at the first fret, slide at 5th and 7th. when speeded up, think Maybellene. Played like a guitar rather than lap Dulcimer. The Walnut neck is also part of the body. A hole was drilled and 2 saw cuts later a neck and two sides that are spread by the curved end piece make up the chassis, with a 2 piece pine top and 2 piece mahogany bottom glued on.
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p244 ... trumstick/
PICT0475.jpg

Morning Mike,

Thanks for the information and the link to your build pictures.
Having watched the designers video, it seems to generate a level of sound way above its size.
Interestingly, whilst watching the video, I did wonder how it would perform if played slide style.
I wonder what Jerry Douglas would do with it?...Apart from using it as firewood!

Many years ago my friend made an experimental instrument using Balsa for the top and bottom plates. It didn't have much in the way of tone, but boy, was it loud;
presumably, because of the plate movement being greater?

Hello Tinbasher,

Like all things, if it looks easy, it isn't. But, being tuned to a chord means that just open strumming (no fretting) would make a euphonious sound.
And for a beginner, this is important. Also, I think that the string tension will be low compared to a guitar, and chord shapes would be simple.
This means that improvement is not the hard, painful slog, that learning to play a guitar is initially.

Regards...Dick.

Err...Sorry for horning in Mike. It's done with the best intentions :oops: :wink:

Thanks Cedgifa

I always regretted not persevering with the guitar but I never could tune the darned thing. This was long before electronic tuning aids. I did take up the melodion (diatonic accordion) as they stay passibly tuneful. My wife would argue the "passabley" bit, she holds the view that "a gentleman is someone who can play the accordion but doesn't" !

Nice little project though, I might have a go.

Tom

I have been using a Pyrex slide, not bad if you press down on the strings. I think it can be a useful intro instrument.

Hello Tom,

I like your wife’s sense of humour.....unless she means it :wink:
My favourite is ‘The bagpipes - an ill wind that nobody blows any good.’ :shock:
Do have a go, I’m sure that you would enjoy both the build and learning to play......Not forgetting the WIP of course.

Hi Mike,

I had this vision of you playing holding a 1litre jug. :shock: Then my wife mentioned that it is possible to get Pyrex spatulas. I absolutely agree that the instrument would be a good starter, as evidenced by Tom above.

Hello Sammy,

Do you think that he could cope with one less string?

Regards...DIck.

Back