Stripping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
My neighbour has a turned spindle child’s chair he is doing up.
It’s a horrible brown coloured varnish.
Anyone recommend a paint stripper for the job?

There are lots of spindles all with undercuts so it’s no good hand or lathe sanding it.

By the way, I am interested in what wood it might be.
Feels too light for beech and too grainy for poplar
The growth rings are too close for pine and it’s not at all resinous.
Looks faintly like Hazlewood.
I am wondering if it was made by a bodger.

I went hi-tech with mine:
pole-dancing-robots.gif

(I have nothing else of value to add here - sorry)

Nitromors - rubber gloves - wire-wool.

Apply the stuff with a paint brush - wait a bit and then wire wool - then wash off with water. I find that a good thick coat the first time followed by another thinner coat after the first wash does the job and leaves the grain of the wood in good conditon ready to varnish, repaint, wax or whatever.

Rob

robgul":apogv3f2 said:
Nitromors - rubber gloves - wire-wool.

Apply the stuff with a paint brush - wait a bit and then wire wool - then wash off with water. I find that a good thick coat the first time followed by another thinner coat after the first wash does the job and leaves the grain of the wood in good conditon ready to varnish, repaint, wax or whatever.

Rob

Thanks, I have heard that the new nitromors is not very good.
Edit, posted at the same time as Phil

Agreed it used to be better when it wasn't water based - but I've still found it pretty good .... mainly for pine furniture although I did strip all the panels on an old Land Rover!

Rob

You can still buy the stripper with methylene chloride (?) in online. I got 5l a year or so back.
Have to be careful with it as it is not nice stuff to the skin, eyes and nasal passages but it is out there for sensible users.
Nitromors old style has to be withdrawn from retail sales to protect the idiots from themselves by nanny state.

Back