Strimmer maintenance - cleaning it up for the season... (and changing spark plug boot)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

OK, so it's a bit late in the year to start the strimming, but I've been busy...!

And so have the mice. The little bleeders have had a feast on the spark plug boot. Local shop didn't have any replacements, but I have a defunct chainsaw and have taken the one off that to use. Is that ok? Are they quite universal / interchangeable, or model specific?

Whilst I've got the cover off the machine, is it worth giving it a clean up (photos below)? If so, what's best to use?

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm not much of a machine man!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20220510_191948181_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220510_191948181_HDR.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220510_192003113_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220510_192003113_HDR.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
If it fits it should be fine. Some of the cheap garden machines make the connection from lead to plug with what looks like the spring from a wooden clothespeg, in which case the boot is a very tight fit to stop the 'legs' pulling out of the lead.
If there's any crud between the fins it is worth poking it out with a thin strip of wood/old paint brush etc. Shouldn't be much on a modern machine as the shroud and flywheel will be designed for good airflow

Some plug caps have suppressors built in, some rely on the HT lead itself, but in general what you’ve done should be fine.

A good blast of compressed air to clear the cooling fins would be all I’d do. Failing that, an old paintbrush as above.

Many thanks for the answers and for the help, much appreciated.

The old cap was still there, just in a post-mouse chew state. I could not see anything in it aside from the spring which I've re-used. If it had a suppressor built in, would that have been easy to spot? I'm not sure what it would look like, but don't remember seeing anything else.

Thanks for the cleaning tips too. I'll get to it later today.

Cheers

Good morning. Had to go to work on Thursday so today's now the strimming day....

I was going to give it a quick clean anyhow seeing as the covers are off. I was told white spirit would be good, followed by some carb/brake cleaner, presumably to "rinse it". I don't have any compressed air. I thought I did have some carb/brake cleaner, but turns out it is this stuff that was in the back of the cupboard:

https://www.actioncan.com/product/tf-90/
Is that any use? And if so, as the main cleaner instead of white spirit? Or as the flusher/rinser instead of the carb/break cleaner? Thought I'd best check as I don't want to do more harm than good!

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Watch out for carb cleaner and the likes - some will destroy certain plastic and rubber items (primer bulb, for one).

I would use something like Gunk or Jizer (or other proprietary engine cleaner), trying not to wet the electrics.

If it uses a diaphragm for fuel delivery then these perish but more importantly be aware of using E10 fuel, either source E5 or a synthetic fuel like Aspen otherwise you could require a new carb like my rotovator did.

Thanks for the additional replies and tips. Unfortunately I had to use E10 this time around as it was all I was able to get. I've drained off after use, so hopefully just the once will not have caused too much damage? I hope not anyway!

Cheers

Thanks for the additional replies and tips. Unfortunately I had to use E10 this time around as it was all I was able to get. I've drained off after use, so hopefully just the once will not have caused too much damage? I hope not anyway!

Cheers
Drain the fuel, then run the engine till it stops, seems to work for me. There are fuel stabilisers you can add, but I’m not sure if they’re any good.

This is a two stroke engine for my money use any petrol you like or can get. Aspen fuel would be better.
If you are using it on a irregular basis and not using Aspen turn it upside down and drain any fuel out into a container for reuse next time

Back