Strictly Come Rigging....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like the BBC has covered all bases, as only a minority can win. Pretty inclusive.

I can proudly confirm that I have never seen a single episode, and only an occasional clip. I don't seem to be suffering, so I will continue to completely ignore utterly pointless drivel on the telly. I have rather ruthlessly forbidden all soap operas in our house - she watches a lot of hospital dramas instead, and Hell's Kitchen, which I abhor but it is an small price to pay.

“Forbidden”.

Hope ‘she’ gets to forbid things that you would like to do but that she doesn’t enjoy too.

Also, why are you proud that there is a tv programme that you don’t like? Pointless to you perhaps but, guess what, they don’t make the schedules purely based on your likes.

There are lots of reasons to watch - the competition, the dancing, fit women in slinky outfits, the obvious talent of most competitors.

But for me the dancing just does not do it. I have no interest. We all probably have that which we are interested in - for me it is motorsport, cricket some cookery, and the occassional football match. Others will find dancing, tennis, darts etc etc utterly absorbing.

I also think that too many programmes select participants based upon their minority status - blind, deaf, gay, trans, disabled etc. No problem with this, and in some cases they have real challenges to overcome - but the end result is that "normal" people actually become marginalised.

It is the "action" I find interesting - pre-match speculation, post match analysis, competitor gossip, manufactured excitement, trivia etc bore me rigid. Strictly, just like celebrity ....... whatever it is ....... surrounds the action with associated tedium which bedevils most similar TV.

I can understand why some people enjoy it, I can see why others don't. I don't watch it, but millions do.

Why are some people here getting so cross about some of it it ? It's entertainment - inconsequential in the scheme of things, a made-up world. You might as well get cross with the Dr Who production team for rigging thinsg so the Daleks always lose.

If you have the energy to get cross with someone, get cross about something that matters.

I also think that too many programmes select participants based upon their minority status - blind, deaf, gay, trans, disabled etc. No problem with this, and in some cases they have real challenges to overcome - but the end result is that "normal" people actually become marginalised.
The voice of reason there Terry. With only 15 contestants (most years) it is extremely difficult to get an appropriate cross section. That means that each contestant has to represent 6.67% of the population. When you then appreciate that the estimate of the deaf population in the UK is 1 in 2000, for a proportionate representation there ought to be only one deaf contestant in 133 years !!

Similar facts could be drawn for the LGBT community though here it would mean NOT having someone from that section every 9 years (ish). Physical disability can create other problems in the case of the Ballroom & Latin styles where there is a basic need to be able to stand and Lauren Steadman & Jonnie Peacock have proved that it is possible for that section of the community to be represented - to what degree it is impossible to estimate. Apologies to anyone who feels that statement to be 'clumsy'.

Ethnicity is much more complex so I'll not even speculate how many - whatever is the current appropriate adjective - people should be considered correct. It will always be higher than seems 'in proportion' as the whole advertising fraternity have found.

There doesn't need to be a mathematically appropriate cross section. Representation is the thing that matters. It matters a lot for the people of those communities, who are also, don't forget, TV licence payers, tax payers etc.
The inclusion of people with disabilities has added a huge amount to the programme. Rose has proved that this year. I hardly think "normal" people have been marginalised when in fact the majority of the contestants are "normal". Whatever that is.

I think if we just switched on the tv to watch, Strictly, then would we really count Black faces, number of disabled people etc, surely you'd just watch it for performance. Sure I get that you'd know there was a same sex couple, people of colour but I'm convinced it's media which whip up hysteria around these issues. People are people, I think people should be defined as good or bad, and thats about it. Not being self righteous as I think generally that's most peoples outlook, spoilt by a few and over cooked by the media.

I have a Black Guyana friend who was at school in the uk with me, I haven't seen him for 35+ years but he's coming to stay at mine for a week next year, that will cause a few raised eyebrows in the village....................... in 1981 there appeared to be little racism at school, lets hope it hasn't gone backwards over the years.

Strictly is the same as Xfactor, I’m a celebrity get me out here, the bake off etc…..they are a hybrid of a scripted drama, live show and talent show.

Its a clever formula because watching amateurs learning is far more engaging than watching professionals.

GOGS

Grumpy Old……….drone

Simply don't understand what you are saying. Are you just being rude about my post? If so can you please be more explicitly rude so we can all understand your point.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Strictly is the same as Xfactor, I’m a celebrity get me out here, the bake off etc…..they are a hybrid of a scripted drama, live show and talent show.

Its a clever formula because watching amateurs learning is far more engaging than watching professionals.
In this case, SCD, I find the professionals are just as engaging as the amateurs (aka celebs). In fact, for me anyway, it's the combination of the two. When it works the the results can be wonderful and beautiful. In this series the pairings have been particularly strong and the results have been outstanding.
Oh to have had AJ in the final. She was a great loss to the show.
Brian

I couldn't agree less. You are confusing so many different programme types.

X-Factor...one of dross. It holds little of any interest for me as it seems to me they are simply cannon-fodder for YABB. Yet Another Boy Band,

I'm a celebrity....facile. Total lack of any talent or development of any talent throughout the series.

Bake Off is a little bit better.

Strictly is in a completely different league. You can see the development of contestants in their dancing and presentation skills as the weeks go by.

But...if you can't see that or dance holds little interest for you then ........

Simply don't understand what you are saying. Are you just being rude about my post? If so can you please be more explicitly rude so we can all understand your point.

Thanks.
You asked why some people get upset about it, and he replied that they are just grumpy old gits- I think.
Must remember that, asking someone to be more explicitly rude so that you can understand his point – nice! Ian

Back