Strap hinges on oak doors- problem!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
About 7 years ago when we had an extension built we replaced the pine doors with oak ledged and braced ones. All were hung with hinges similar to these http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/tudor/tu ... 85126/9915. In the last few days I noticed that the kitchen door was not closing correctly and this appears to be caused by the top hinge sagging allowing the door to drop slightly from the top thus fouling the jam.

So far I've thought of three solutions but not sure which is the best option or if there's a better way to fix the problem.

1. Plane the door so it no longer fouls the jam
2. Replace the hinge
3. Increase the depth of the hinge rebate in the frame in the hope this will "lift" the top of the door when screwed back tight

What's the best way to solve this problem please?

What if you swap the top hinge with the bottom hinge. Make sure to keep them well lubricated after.

Coley

I guess it depends on whether the door has dropped or the hinge has worn allowing play to cause the door to sag.

Certainky swapping top and bottom hinges is worth ttying.

You just have to rehang the door. Most likely it'd involve filling and re-siting the screw holes of the top hinge to frame, to pull the door back into place. But there could be other causes/solutions.

Do the braces run the right way? from the edge of the door down to the jamb?

Pete

If the hinge has worn, and you can buy an identical hinge, then just replace the hinge. Same holes, same screws, easy job.

Latest posts

Back