Strange worktop joint!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have fitted a few worktops in the past without any problem using the jig and router for the Masons mitre. Today I fitted one but had a problem with it and don't know why? I cut the joint with the jig as usual and then cut out the pockets for the clamps. I then used the Ferm biscuit jointer to cut six slots in each side of the joint. All as per normal so far until I came to putting them together as they didn't line up? One top was proud of the other and no matter how much i thumped and prised it it wouldn't sit flush. In desperation I removed the biscuits and hey presto it fitted great! I have no idea why as I have used this method time and again and never had trouble like this. I know there was no dirt under the sole plate of the biscuit jointer and I didn't move the settings. I am at a loss as to explain it? Anyone suggest anything? I also found that B&Q worktops seem to be having probems recently as this one had blown postform edges on two of the lengths, I found this to my cost as it chipped! Luckily I managed to cut this off. The last job I fitted B&Q tops to had all three lengths with problems, chunks out of edge, scratches, crushed edge! I am not sure if this is a national problem or just confined to our branch here? Anyone got any suggestions on the fitting problem though I would be very happy.

Maybe its the Ferm Bicuit Jointer. Mine sucked like the wind.....
Or maybe you registered the jointer from the top fave on one piece and the bottom from the other?
Probably the hateful Ferm, though :lol:
Philly :D

Hi Philly, you may be correct about the biscuit jointer but I have just had a similar reply on another forum too. It looks like it is my fault for registering the jointer from the top and bottom, (I use a double row of slots) It looks like I should register it from the melamine side only and seems I have been lucky in the past although I have used my small Elu router for the biscuit slots previously. Thanks for the reply mate and I shall keep my eye open for a cheap good quality biscuit jointer I think.

You should be able to pick up a freud (or casels, who make the freud machines) for about £100, which will give you pretty good results.

Matt.

The December issue of Good woodworking (issue 169) has a review of biscuit jointers. It covers quite a few. If you can get hold of a copy it might help you in your search for a replacement.
Their choice for the best budget model is the Clarke BJ600.
Hope that helps
Andy

Got to admit my Ferm jointer was pretty bad when I first got it cutting sloppy slots I changed the blade for a good quality Freud one and it is better now. On the other forum it seems none of the kitchen fitters use biscuits on the joints anyway as they are too much hassle, I think I may join them in that idea.

I never use biccies on the joint and have found that the less than £200 worktops ie the £50 worktops will chip no matter what you do .

Back