strange thought....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Gepetto's thread in General re power v's hand tools got me thinking about my own.. I ran through m list of "don't really have an alternative" power tools and got to my sander..

Thesedays it's a tool I seldom use, the exception being when I work wit ply.. well.. I started thinking surely there's gotta be another way to do this..

Thought struck me... cabinet scraper...??

whatchya reckon...??

Mike
Yeah, you could get away with that!
Whilst I'm not a sanding fan, my RO sander connected to the shop vac makes the process real easy when pushed though :wink:
Surprised you let ply in the shop though Mike....... :lol:
Philly :D

Surprised you let ply in the shop though Mike.......

yea well... needs must yea..??

I canna say it's my favourate media, but it has its uses. I've been tryin for 3 years to get hold of all the bits to hook my Bosch sander to the DC to minimise the dust... got 2 of the 3 bits... near enough just to be useless....

I got the idea for scraping from watching TOH, Norm's buddy Tommy uses a Stanley blade to scrape the sheet before he's done anything else with it... reckons it cuts the sanding time in half....

Was that the one where he was spraying sheets of ply for kitchen cabinets for a project? And then used stanley blades as scrapers? Worth giving it a go........
Cheers
Philly :D

Been thinking about this, and I don't see why not. After all, you scrape veneer and that's all you've got with ply. As long as you don't scrape through (you'll know to stop when your thumbs start to melt...), should be fine.

Cheers, Alf

ee gads.. I'd a good idea..???

woah..... best mark the calender...

brain cell was workin today.... ;)

Now, now, Mike, don't let it go to your head and startle that brain cell back into hiding.

:p :p :p

sides.. yer lookin in the wrong place...

paid from the neck.. down... remember..???

Back