Strange spindle moulder usage on Youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you say about this:

To me it looks like an accident waiting to happen and judging by the headline he is attempting to teach it..........

droogs has taken the words from my mouth. If you wished to do that why not a normal straight fence, spelch board, and pressure bar,and take the cut from the bottom. Add a guard to stop the off cuts from flying round the shop and you have a sane working method. He's got,to be a Donald supporter!

Point of order from a spindle moulder ignoramus.......but is that actually a spindle moulder at all? I mean, a moulder has a block, doesn't it, with vertical slits carrying knives? This looks more like a horizontal circular saw to me. Not that this nomenclature issue changes the level of danger involved.

Point of order from a spindle moulder ignoramus.......but is that actually a spindle moulder at all? I mean, a moulder has a block, doesn't it, with vertical slits carrying knives? This looks more like a horizontal circular saw to me. Not that this nomenclature issue changes the level of danger involved.
You can get grooving blades that clamp in like that, or circular saw blades. I use two with a spacer to cut long tenons, but the workpiece is clamped onto a traversing table and all the guards are in place.

Mike. It's common practice to run a saw blade or grooving tool on a vertical spindle moulder. But not like that!

This guy’s other videos are similar; the ones where he uses a proper SM cutter are still nerve wracking for me, and where he uses it to ‘free hand carve shapes’ prior to using it a template are quite tense.

Big cutter:

Carving:

Then there is the amount of chips and dust he is generating without extraction, eye protection etc.

For me it’s like watching one of the Wadkin promotional videos from 50+ years ago; plenty of people went their entire careers using techniques like that without injury, but then some didn’t.

He obviously doesn't own a fence 😂

I love the sketchy stuff that's on youtube, these are some of my favourites:

On the A G PAIK spindle moulder video that Trevanion posted the guy free handing the curved end grain on the small curved top panel between the 2 fences at about the 13 minute mark is just crazy, could have got very messy very quickly.

On the A G PAIK spindle moulder video that Trevanion posted the guy free handing the curved end grain on the small curved top panel between the 2 fences at about the 13 minute mark is just crazy, could have got very messy very quickly.

Hard to believe it’s an advert for a manufacturer isn’t it :ROFLMAO:

Back