strange smelling timber?!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also looks like sapele to me if that's any help.
Is very similar to meranti when unfinished, but meranti doesn't have much of an odour.

Hi Roger

the local builders merchant in Leicester called Shires Timber. They used to sell Ash, Oak, Pine and Meranti, but now only the latter two

Certainly not sapient pearwood then, cos that smells of old laundry...... :D

Don't hit me, it's been a long day.

tazmaniandevil":3motwjzr said:
Certainly not sapient pearwood

But do you have any sapient pearwood? I am still looking for some to make patio chairs out of, they should put themselves in the shed when it starts to rain. :whistle: :wink:

yep =D> , good call there Tony it is Meranti and often the smell of it is peppery when machining and it works great, but there are different grades, in general the best is very heavy and dark in colour .Used extensivly here in Holland for building and joinery.
Though a while back Greenpeace shut a timber yard down for importing illegally harvested meranti timber from Indosia/Phillapines for a while and kicked up a stink with some of the big DIY chains Praxis/Gamma and 1 other.
I like the timber but would prefer to get FSC meranti- but getting the info is damn hard :x :?

Back