Strange design of park bench- any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Ndriley. Whilst i had the incling i couldn't find the evidence. You had both so well done. What an incredibly random set of information this forum has.

It could be a tram seat. However I remember that tram seats had a back that was on a fulcrum which meant they could be positioned forwards or backwards. Trams couldn't turn around except on a turntable at the depot and at the end of the line 9the driver would spend a couple of minutes it's flipping the seat backs to face the right way so passengers could face the direction of travel. Mind you that was in Birmingham and we have some funny ideas up here!

John
Unfortunately I also remember movable tram seats in Manchester- hard wooden things which were most uncomfortable.

True, but then it was a little more comfortable than having to stand. I used to have a weekly errand to run for my headmaster. I didn't mind that because, on the tram ride, I was always accompanied by my opposite number, the girls' School Captain!:love:

John

interesting shape, It looks like a Victorian park bench, some of them were quite ornate, the curve is quite unusual though, please let us see the bench with the new wooden slats on, I'd like to see it.
Picture as promised- I’m very pleased with the result and as you can see I have done a bit of ornamental work in the areas where the parasol would have originally been.
4EBF3556-D448-49D8-A762-F7B2A2474E96.jpeg

that is rather stunning, I do hope you are proud of it and yourself. bit to nice to go outside now though. :)

that is rather stunning, I do hope you are proud of it and yourself. bit to nice to go outside now though. :)
I know what you mean but it has to be done. I’m putting my trust in three coats of Osmo UV protection oil !!!

Stem launch deck seat.

You can see them on Lake Windermere.

The hand grab is to help in getting up in rough weather. Or gripping tight in rough weather.

Normally slatted in beech.

Stem launch deck seat.

You can see them on Lake Windermere.

The hand grab is to help in getting up in rough weather. Or gripping tight in rough weather.

Normally slatted in beech.
That’s brilliant - thank you so much - I now have the whole story:-
An all weather bench, used on the deck of boats, which has a facility to incorporate a parasol and which was probably attach to other similar benches in a row.

Not much point grabbing the hand hold in rough weather when it isn't attached to the deck though.
lack of holes in the feet would make it somewhat complicated to hold down.
I really don't think it's a deck seat, I've been on the swan, it had very simplistic benches without the roll top and certainly no fancy cast work. In fact I'm fairly sure it was a box under the slatted bench top, got to put that life jacket somewhere you know. :)

Back