Strange design of park bench- any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think whatever went through the holes was to either link them to another bench or secure them to something.

If you have a handy local blacksmith they would make useful mountings for side tables if you've got any meranti left over

I think a tram with sixty or seventy of those on board wouldn't go very far. It was normal for trams to have knife board reversible seats as already mentioned.

it may also have been for additional decorative features that couldn't be cast in. or interchangable panels such that different districts or families could be catered for with only marginally expense.
if it's of Edwardian vintage then most parks (especially in larger cities) were still private, benches would often bear family crests and the such. a clever foundry may have come up with this solution.

what is a steamer bench please

Hi, benches that were placed on deck for passengers to sit (with blanket) during a trip up and the likes of Windermere etc. Popular during Edwardian times.

I think whatever went through the holes was to either link them to another bench or secure them to something.
That seems the most likely explanation. I am going to fabricate something to serve as small drinks tray. Many thanks

Hi, benches that were placed on deck for passengers to sit (with blanket) during a trip up and the likes of Windermere etc. Popular during Edwardian times.
Aah! that sort of steamer- could well be as they are very heavy and I could visualise them on the deck and being anchored. Many thanks

I think a tram with sixty or seventy of those on board wouldn't go very far. It was normal for trams to have knife board reversible seats as already mentioned.
You’re quite right - sixty or seventy of those would weigh more than a tank!
many thanks

it may also have been for additional decorative features that couldn't be cast in. or interchangable panels such that different districts or families could be catered for with only marginally expense.
if it's of Edwardian vintage then most parks (especially in larger cities) were still private, benches would often bear family crests and the such. a clever foundry may have come up with this solution.
Many thanks

The "lugs" seem to be on different sides of the casting - one pointing inwards towards the slats, and one outwards.

May or may not be significant - possibly mountings for a victorian steam fairground ride?

I would start by looking at the crest, maybe do a google image search with it (i think I'm right in saying you can drag the file into the search box and it initiates a search matching the image).

The "lugs" seem to be on different sides of the casting - one pointing inwards towards the slats, and one outwards.

May or may not be significant - possibly mountings for a victorian steam fairground ride?
Actually both lugs are on the same side of the casting and both of them pointing away from the slats. I’d love to think that they were from a Victorian fairground ride but I think they would be too heavy for that. Many thanks.

I would start by looking at the crest, maybe do a google image search with it (i think I'm right in saying you can drag the file into the search box and it initiates a search matching the image).
i hadn’t thought of that - good idea - I’ll give it a try. Many thanks

Your bench ends look pretty similar to this A wrought iron garden bench with parasol. 107 cm(w) x 70 cm(d)
Looks like the round holes with the dowels held a parasol and the lugs were possibly for joining multiple benches together?
Eureka!!!! Fantastic, Brilliant!! - that is exactly the same as my bench and the mystery is solved. I can now set about re-building it and I may even incorporate a couple of parasols. Many thanks for your help and thank you to all who have replied. This is a great website community.

It could be a tram seat. However I remember that tram seats had a back that was on a fulcrum which meant they could be positioned forwards or backwards. Trams couldn't turn around except on a turntable at the depot and at the end of the line 9the driver would spend a couple of minutes it's flipping the seat backs to face the right way so passengers could face the direction of travel. Mind you that was in Birmingham and we have some funny ideas up here!

John

Latest posts

Back