Strange design of park bench- any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barlow

Established Member
Reaction score
5DCBEBBE-BE71-4FA9-B4AC-13E9E8D87E4A.jpeg
03126968-80F4-4E40-A736-222599E57F3B.jpeg
9ACB5374-8FF5-4A9A-AF4F-4BBFB4CFFD3D.jpeg

I quite like that!

What is the question though, any idea of what...?

Sorry I’m new to this.
the above photos are of some very heavy old cast iron bench ends which I am about to join together using moranti slats. The bench ends have a strange design having some bits sticking out which are obviously meant for something. Are there any park bench experts out there who could throw some light on what these bench ends would have looked like originally.
Also would appreciate advice on best weather proof treatment for mordant.
many thanks.

Just speculating. There was something similar, though less elaborate, on the Repair Shop (I seem to recall?). Difficult to tell from the photo but it looks like you'd be sat in a fairly upright position with the slats on and the ends coud be for a pole to the ceiling? Most park benches I've sat in tend to be deeper and more reclined - more inviting to sit and enjoy the vista.

Yes it is a fairly upright seating position but still quite comfortable. A pole to the ceiling would explain the holes. Are you thinking the pole would be to the ceiling of a tram. There are also other holes, through which I have, at some time in the past, put the oak dowel to improve the appearance (see photos) and again I have no idea of their purpose.

the lack of floor fixing may preclude it being a tram seat. a tram seat would typically not have an arm rest either. neither of these should be a reason to conclude that it isn't though.
the lower hole appears to be square which suggest something ended there with a square to stop it rotating.

the lack of floor fixing may preclude it being a tram seat. a tram seat would typically not have an arm rest either. neither of these should be a reason to conclude that it isn't though.
the lower hole appears to be square which suggest something ended there with a square to stop it rotating.
Yes the lower hole is square and the upper hole is round. There is no sign of any floor fixing holes

Also tram seats quite often were designed so that you could sit facing the other way as well, the back flopped across, at the end of the line the conductor went down with his hands out turning all the seats round the other way.
Ian

...Are you thinking the pole would be to the ceiling of a tram.
Yes, that was my thinking. Are both ends the same? It could just be something like a support for an awning or parasol as pcb1962 suggests? Intriguing?

Steamer bench perhaps.
Don't think it's a tram bench, most had the swinging/pivoting back rest and no arm rest.

Yes, that was my thinking. Are both ends the same? It could just be something like a support for an awning or parasol as pcb1962 suggests? Intriguing?
Yes both ends are the same. I wondered about them being joined to others but it would have been a peculiar connecting system. The parasol idea would work

interesting shape, It looks like a Victorian park bench, some of them were quite ornate, the curve is quite unusual though, please let us see the bench with the new wooden slats on, I'd like to see it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back