Strange Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecokestove

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best forum. Does anyone know what kind of chair this is. Some have suggested a nursing chair, but I don't buy that. It's too low. You'd struggle to get out of it. I don't think the legs have been cut off because if you extend the line of the back legs to a 'normal' length they would stick out a long way. The seat was a plywood sheet with holes in it.

I had always intended to re-cane it, but it's been in the loft for over ten years and I don't suppose I'll ever do it.
Chair.jpg

Yes - strangely I also know those as nursing chairs. Indeed if you Google ‘antique nursing chair’ you will find that they mostly have little legs, giving a very low seat height.

The arms are too high for a "nursing chair".
When you take into account the thickness of the seat cushion, I wonder if this is a one-off for a disabled person.

Bod

I believe this is called a slipper chair. Those were very low and i'd think the pad that goes on it would likely be 5+" or so thick, so not really really low.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that it originally had a seat of springs that with padding almost came up to the crossbar in the seat back. The darker shading of the finish say so.

Pete
Yep - I saw a chair like that at an auction a few months ago - not cane backed but the same shape with a massive seat pad.

Not sure if this is the best forum. Does anyone know what kind of chair this is. Some have suggested a nursing chair, but I don't buy that. It's too low. You'd struggle to get out of it. I don't think the legs have been cut off because if you extend the line of the back legs to a 'normal' length they would stick out a long way. The seat was a plywood sheet with holes in it.

I had always intended to re-cane it, but it's been in the loft for over ten years and I don't suppose I'll ever do it.View attachment 124207
Very interesting. Please share when you have all the info.

Last edited:

I had always intended to re-cane it, but it's been in the loft for over ten years and I don't suppose I'll ever do it.View attachment 124207
I believe it’s a prayer chair. Kneel on it to speak to an imaginary deity. No offense meant. Austin

Back