Straight edge from Axminster?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

A while back, I purchased a 1m "Straight edge" from Axminster.

This is the one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 69&recno=5

I couldn't find any specification on it but thought that as it claimed to be ground straight, it would be pretty close to actually straight. Oh yeah?

I checked planed boards with it and plane soles etc. and soon decided it 'wasn't quite straight'. I tried drawing a line and then flipping it over to check for straightness - at least 1/2mm out in the middle!!!!!!
I compared it to my 1m rule for a fiver from B&Q and the extruded aluminium rule is actually straigther than my ground 'straight edge'

Finally, I borrowed a precision ground edge (max. deviation 6um) from work yesterday and compared the Axminster offering. The Axminster is awful. Not only is it out by more than 1/2mm, it has a wavy edge all along it and only contaced the precision edge in 3 places.

Don't buy one as a reference to check your tools or wood!!!

Interesting to hear how unstraight the Axminster straight edge is. When I was researching where to find a supplier for a straight edge I'd read somewhere else (can't remember for the life of me where) that the Axminster was pretty poor. If you have any suggestions or anyone else does where I could get one I'd be grateful to hear - wonder if I'll just have to find a precision engineer to grind one for me?

Tony

I wonder if you have done the same as I did. I made the mistake of using it as a straight edge to cut against, and the metal is surprisingly soft enough to wear, especially in the middle where I must have used it more or increased pressure.
Just a thought, I got mine reground by a company that sharpens blades that size for printing firms.

Cheers Alan

Tony,
It's not just Axminster ones. I got a straightedge from Tilgear that now does duty as a piece of more or less straight steel to run a knife against when I roughcut veneer.

I think more generally that it is very difficult to rely on a straightedge or a square being what they claim and that it is always worth a few basic checks.

We get what we pay for--sometimes. Seems in comparison to the LV steel straight edge as a price point it sould have been closer in quality.

But then, there's always the Starrett straight edges if one needs even more precision...

"This classic tool is pure function: no bevels, no graduations, just finely milled & finished reference edges. It is 36" long, 2-13/32" wide and 7/32" thick. It is milled straight to within 0.0002" per foot of length and parallel to within 0.0004" per foot of length. Arrows mark suspension points by which the tool should be supported (if needed) to minimize deflection due to its length and weight."

And it has a price to match. It is, however, fully hardened.

edmund":2h3bqzpy said:
Interesting to hear how unstraight the Axminster straight edge is. When I was researching where to find a supplier for a straight edge I'd read somewhere else (can't remember for the life of me where) that the Axminster was pretty poor. If you have any suggestions or anyone else does where I could get one I'd be grateful to hear - wonder if I'll just have to find a precision engineer to grind one for me?

Farnell

They have a DIN 874 certified one which costs about £40 but is guaranteed to be straight within 12um

I will be buying one!!!

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=030470&N=401

Woody Alan":moj2n2xu said:
Tony

I wonder if you have done the same as I did. I made the mistake of using it as a straight edge to cut against,
Cheers Alan

No woody, only used it measure wood and tools.

Tony,

Moore & Wright do precision engineering tools etc.
I have some of their products and excellent they are too.
I have a couple of certified engineers 12" & 6"squares and a certified 2 ft straight edge. Their not cheap but ..............

Recommended

Hello all,

Where i live in Sheffield, there are numerous small engineering firms which are all precision machining shops. Any one of these would gladly grind up a straight edge for cash in hand i supose. You could also look up any firms that advertise themselves as manufcturers of machine knives which are basically industrial guilotine blades that are ground to fine tolerances. An offer of a tenner or so might get you a lucky dip in their scrap bins!

cheers, jonny.

FelderMan":3rcwx5ke said:

Hadn't thought of this - I have some of their engineers squares which are top notch. Found link to their edges http://www.moore-and-wright.co.uk/main/engstraiedge.htm. Looks like they cost top dollar - but I'm guessing they'd do what they say on the tin :)

Shame I don't live so close to Sheffield...

Well, believe it or not, but my straight-edge is a Stabila spirit level!

I went down my local branch of Bradfords (and as I've got a good longterm relationship with them) they let me rip open a couple of 1m levels packges. Laying them on top of each other I could not get a 1 thou feeler guage in anywhere along their lengths nor see any daylight between them. Exactly the same when one was rotated by 180 degrees. 1 thou is good enough for me...although the engineer in me 'still' hankers after a 'real' straight edge :lol:

This may be the 'cat amongst the pigeons' comment, but to we as wood butchers need such accuracy. I can understand engineers needing accuracy, but working in a natural product that is continuously on the move, does so many numbers after the decimal point matter that much?

Well it seems reasonable to eliminate as many potential errors as possible I suppose, but no, all those decimals points aren't really necessary for the woodworking side of things. Traditionaly we should all be using wooden straight edges; still waiting on some suitable straight-grained Honduras mahogany to fall into my lap before I do that. :D But what about for setting up machines and members of the Flat Sole Society? That practically is engineering.

Cheers, Alf

FelderMan":25kenz1x said:
Tony,

I have some of their products and excellent they are too.
I have a couple of certified engineers 12" & 6"squares and a certified 2 ft straight edge. Their not cheap but ..............

Recommended

True, but the one I posted a link to from Farnell is considerably cheaper and the DIN 875 means better than 12um error along the full length - that is less than 1/2 a thou!!

mine will be the Farnell one

Still no response from Axminster about my refund :roll:

Tony,
I can't get your link to work properly. Is it the Roebuck one you are talking about?

The site is absolutely dire - I do wish people would make a bit of an effort when webifying catalogues.

I cannot see any specs for the Roebuck straightedge in the pages I have been able to access.

Latest posts

Back