Storm felled timber.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have been given some fair sized branch wood from a storm felled Blue Gum (Tasmanian eucalyptus). It is still very wet so I don’t intend to do anything with it yet, but I wondered if anyone has turned this stuff. Is it any good?
D.

I have a few big trunk sections of eucalyptus too, not turned it yet but apparently it dulls tools fast, mine has a lot of checking and the grain seems to spiral around as it goes up, could be interesting to turn.

I found eucalyptus quite pleasant to turn when wet. Not the most exciting grain, but quite pretty. I will see if I can find a picture. It warps like crazy however, so if you are planning on 2 stage turning, make sure you leave the walls pretty thick. I had to chuck some of mine as they had gone so oval. I think you may have problems trying to dry it before turning though - anything left as logs for the fire split badly.

I found eucalyptus quite pleasant to turn when wet. Not the most exciting grain, but quite pretty. I will see if I can find a picture. It warps like crazy however, so if you are planning on 2 stage turning, make sure you leave the walls pretty thick. I had to chuck some of mine as they had gone so oval. I think you may have problems trying to dry it before turning though - anything left as logs for the fire split badly.
My pieces are about 18inches across at the widest and about the same in length, I dont know when they were cut, thinking of splitting them through the heart and making as many 9inch blanks as I can and then wait to see what they do, probably won't turn them this year.

I seem to remember Melvyn Firmager used to do a lot of wonderful turnings from wet eucalyptus wood. Not sure if that's still the case, but I have seen hos work in one or two books in the past.

Phil

Here is a picture of one of the eucalyptus bowls. Sorry the photo isn't great. It is about 180mm across the top and 1.5mm thick
eucalyptus side.jpg

Turn it as wet as you can with walls as thin as you can and let it move. The warping is wonderful. If you want to season it, cut it now to exclude the pith area before it cracks but you're still likely to lose sections. Good luck.

Quite a lot of the eucalyptus species are great turning timbers. Most of my turning has been eucalyptus of various kinds. Have not used the tasmanian verity however.
tasmanian blue gum - Google Search
Harder than the woods you guys usually turn but should not be a challenge for HSS tools. Rough turn wet with the pith removed then final turn when dry is the best.
Regards
John

Back