Storing timber for turning in a log store outside.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian_in_the_midlands

Established Member
Reaction score
I need more space in the workshop. I have a fair amount of logs that I have cut and put under a bench for turning sometime in the future.
I am thinking I could move these outside.
Does anyone use a log store to store to store their timber for turning?
I am thinking of something like this, with slatted doors on the front.

Attachments

• logstore.png
    logstore.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 748
That was my thoughts.
I think that would be better than a sealed box with no air flow.
I am concerned that the getting wet, drying, and changes of temperature may make the splitting worse, but these are cut sections of logs, mainly yew, ash and elm. I would not be storing expensive bowl blanks in it.
Many of the bits are over 10 years old now so will be dry.

I would be inclined to drape a tarpaulin over the weather side during heavy rain or perhaps add an old roller blind.

This is something that I've seen/wanted, I was thinking about:

Is there DPC to prevent problems with damp? Is there (mastic) seal/flashing between wall and roof? Is back/stored material away from brickwork? Are slats open but overlapping (like tiles on battens). Is it made of treated timber and suitable fixings e.g. from fencing materials. Does it need shelves or (externally) removable sides? Is it secure?

I think as long as the air can move fairly freely across all of the wood, and you can prevent rain or direct sunlight getting on the wood, it'll be fine. A fairly tight mesh on what Robbo called the weather side might be a good idea as it'll allow air to pass but stop rain hitting wood directly (see from about 7.15 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFdaFsJzzo for what the guy calls 'shade cloth').

Latest posts

Back