Storing small pieces of veneer (and using them)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
I have some samples of veneer (A5 size) and I've just ordered some relatively small leaves for a project that's on my list as well as one for future use because I liked it.

However in the meantime I'm going to need to store anything I accumulate. Will just putting them flat between two 18mm pieces of MDF do the job, perhaps separated by sheets of paper? Apparently brown wrapping paper (kraft?) is suitable if unwaxed?

Secondly for usage - without investing in a press or vacuum equipment, what's the sort of size I could expect to produce using clamps and plywood (or anything else that might be suitable)? I'm mainly thinking box lids etc, so up to a sheet of A4 in size in one go?

That will be fine Bill. The hassles only really start when you want to use it lol. If the sheets you get are a bit wrinkly/bobbly then you can use a bit of water spray on then and placed in between chip shop paper (blank newsprint) with some weight on them to press them flat and draw the water away. Change the paper about every 12 hours until dry and then store.
When it comes time to use it, you can do the same if not too bad or use a veneer restorer/softener (recipes online) to get them ready to use on complex shapes.
Just remember veneer can be very brittle and easily snapped when dry.

And don't let the dog chew your free CC samples when they come through the door
:rolleyes:

For when it's time to glue up research hammer veneering and hide glue

That’ll work fine for storage whilst you have very little of it, I now find that bits of veneer drop out of everything I move as I can’t bear to thrown scraps away, despite them probably being useless.

Panel size you can just use clamps for, yes about A4, it does depend on the veneer though, some like to suck up the glue and expand and wrinkle, even when in a vacuum bag, clamps exert a much greater pressure but only over a small area, then you’re into cauls etc to span an area. Easy Composites so cheap yet good vacuum bag kits

Aidan

Latest posts

Back