Storing ply & sheet material - is a vertical rack a good idea?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am desperate need of some better storage of sheet material. I mainly use 4, 6, 12 & 15mm ply and the odd sheet of OBS, insulation etc.

My sheets are currently lent against the wall - this is a pain as I have to lift all the sheets out to get to one at the back.

I also have a shop-made A-frame trolley, this isn't much better as you need quite a space to drag it out to access both sides and its quite heavy when fully loaded.

I am looking at vertical storage racks, made from good old CLS, this should make it easier to thumb through the sheets as ell as loading/unloading.

Does any one have any words of wisdom before I dive straight in?
is it OK to store sheets vertically (bowing etc)

Thanks in advance :)

47dcf75b222b27a56ece1d43e514cc86.jpg

From experience I've had no problem with vertical storage - the one slight exception is that cheap plywood below about 18mm may bow a bit. I guess the secret is to have loads of partitions like your pic that keeps the stuff pretty much upright/wedged in and less likely to bow.

Its how I store my stuff, keep it full and then they cant lay over and bend, make a few sections split in half (height) for off cuts.
I'd make it out of sheet material, otherwise you will be constantly catching the cls internally. Also try and make it without a floor, they slide in easier without a step. Also make it the height of the board length diagonally plus 50mm, then you can tip them in.

Also, I plan on putting adjustable shelving in the right hand side of the rack with certain height areas like say 600x400, 600x600 etc so I can't easily grab an offcut for a shelf or drawer component.

Hi All,

I am desperate need of some better storage of sheet material. I mainly use 4, 6, 12 & 15mm ply and the odd sheet of OBS, insulation etc.

My sheets are currently lent against the wall - this is a pain as I have to lift all the sheets out to get to one at the back.

I also have a shop-made A-frame trolley, this isn't much better as you need quite a space to drag it out to access both sides and its quite heavy when fully loaded.

I am looking at vertical storage racks, made from good old CLS, this should make it easier to thumb through the sheets as ell as loading/unloading.

Here's one I made for myself recently, dunno how I done without it.

I built a vertical one with cls, and like you before that, they were all just leaning up together. Total PITA and the final straw came when a load of them fell forwards and tried to kill me.
I was saved by the bandsaw that lives in front of it 😳

PXL_20221012_073135932.jpg

I share the workshop so we have a section each side and offcuts in the middle. High roof so storage space on top too. The side faces my bench so is used to put tools on.

6 or 8 sheets resting on the floor, on a long edge if you had the space, or a short edge if you had the height, but leaning back against a framework that stops them bowing. A sheet can be easily slid out from anywhere in the stack. More sheets, more framing.

What I use are horizontal custom racks. They do have wheels but when loaded are way too heavy to leave on the wheels so I have eucalyptus offcuts under them. I did recently move one to give more space and used my workshop crane to reposition it
CC6E8CDB-7F16-4D3B-BD4E-65FFE2B20CD2.jpeg
1DF3AD15-BAC6-47C4-B8D3-327E2CB370EF.jpeg
E68507F2-CCF4-42E6-ADF4-3F1BAA0D1115.jpeg
C8622EF1-36EF-495E-BE99-398162C0DEE8.jpeg
6B3FDE35-BD3C-41BF-B94B-21F5574CB700.jpeg
2810868B-49C7-4C50-90E4-BB3E153E4673.jpeg
E2A7E119-4CD6-4EDB-98DE-5E94D76D9936.jpeg
21D5FF30-CC3E-4FD2-994D-0593F0286698.jpeg
97EABA7C-1AC4-4749-82FD-BD0331EC6FC5.jpeg
E38F004C-FE8E-4987-831F-A3EAEC6BDCE4.jpeg

Hi All,

Do similar to photo but at a slant sideways, then the boards lean against the partitions?

The builders providers store them flat to prevent warping but they have the luxury of space. If you have various thicknesses then vertical storage is way more efficient. They will all develop a slight warp especially anything under 12 mm so store them convex side outside the lean. I've given up using MDF for this reason and use blockboard instead if I can veneer it.

The builders providers store them flat to prevent warping but they have the luxury of space.
Probably more to do with the fact that everything has to be moved and stacked via forklift than any particular concern over maintaining flatness.
Most builders merchants I've been in don't GAS about warpage, with bearers badly spaced or missing completely.

Probably more to do with the fact that everything has to be moved and stacked via forklift than any particular concern over maintaining flatness.
Most builders merchants I've been in don't GAS about warpage, with bearers badly spaced or missing completely.
I agree and flat storage only works with sheets of the same thickness. I've noticed that Baltic ply in my shed grows a green fungus after about a year so I suspect storing them flat helps that as well. ? Most providers will also turn over enough ply to prevent this.?

Back