Storing of router bits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan L

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a set of Freud 1/2" router bits. After using the bits I have started to see a slight tarnishing on the shanks. As I paid quite a bit of money for this set I would like to protect my investment. Any recommendation on the storing of router bits. Should I coat them in something after use?

Hi Alan,

After using my router bits I normally give them a quick clean with the CMT spray cleaner then store them in my homemade router bit box - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/projects/routerbox.php

routerbitbox.jpg

Hi Charely, thanks for a quick response.

After cleaning do you wipe off the CMT cleaner totally or do you live a residue to protect the bit?

hehehe actually thats not my bed. Thats the top room where all my tools are being stored :wink:

The CMT stuff CHarley recommended is great for cleaning, it gets heavy gunk off very easily but it appears to be water-based. I would not leave it on the bits for fear of corrosion - rather spray on a bit of WD40

Camellia oil is quite good as it has no odour and does not mark wood should you get an yon iot. Axminster sell it in a spra ydiffuser

sawdustalley":2yqy060y said:
Unlike charley, I dont take mine to bed with me :p

Oooooh (hammer) ! Someone's cruising for a bruising here :wink: . The phrase that springs to mind involves glasshouses, stones and throwing.

Gill :)

Heh heh, not the phrase that sprang to my mind, Gill. Mine involved other words like "clamp" and "Bessey" :lol: I'm still trying to decide if the fact that Charley's posing shots of router cutter boxes on someone else's bed is better, or worse... :roll:

Just to drift on topic for a moment; watch out if you store your router cutters in holes drilled in wood. This can actually exacerbate the problem if it's not dry :( Better to use ply or the hated MDF apparently. FWIW, mine sit in padded divisions in a set of little drawers next to the WoodRat. I decided to make 'em as comfy as possible because, after all, they don't get out much. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

After use, I give mine a quick clean with some citrus oil based solvent, storing them in the bit storage drawers built into the router table. Can't honestly say I've seen any of them suffering corrosion.

Alf":3rd9gyoe said:
Just to drift on topic for a moment...
<Chuckle chuckle> :D

I use PTFE spray from Screwfix. Cleans, lubricates and protects and makes the cutters more efficient (apparently). Cutters that I've had for years and use regularly are still fine. I give them a wee sharpen on a diamond stone every so often.

A

Aragon,

I'm no chemist but I thought PTFE had no cleaning properties. In fact it will leave a residue on the applied surface so if there is any contaminate or particulate this will be sealed in. But I imagine that if the surfaces are clean to begin with (as no doubt yours were) the residual coat will act as a protectant against further contamination, at least to the body of the cutter.
I use PTFE on all my cast iron beds and as lube in areas prone to sawdust such as the gearwheels on the TS etc. The Trend variant seem ok so I must try it on my cutters. As mentioned in an earlier post the CMT cleaner works well and is nice and user friendly unlike the various "oven cleaner" products that are available.

Rgds

Noel

waterhead37":2sc7u7k1 said:
The CMT stuff CHarley recommended is great for cleaning, it gets heavy gunk off very easily but it appears to be water-based. I would not leave it on the bits for fear of corrosion - rather spray on a bit of WD40
I think the CMT stuff is fine to leave on - it is according to Axminster anyway:

axminster catalogue":2sc7u7k1 said:
Do not rinse after cleaning. Formula 2050 provides protection from rust and corrosion
One thing that is important though is to avoid getting any in contact with the bearings on guided cutters, as it dissolves the grease. I take the bearings off before cleaning just to be on the safe side.

NeilCFD

Hi Guys, thanks for all the useful tips.

One of the first things I plan to make once my workshop is complete is a cabinet for my growing number of router bits.

When you have enough router bits (I don't think one ever does actually) or at least, when you have a lot, you realise that bit cabinets etc are awfully wasteful of space and I have gone full circle back to the simple solution which is from Trend - one of the very few cheap things they make but very useful nonetheless. I really do recommend you get a couple or three of these and stick them in a drawer.

router%20storage.jpg

Hi Alan,
I use the PTFE spray from Screwfix to help stop resin sticking to cutters, good if I am working on pine :wink: .
But I bought a can of rust barrier from Screwfix that I use on cutters and blades when storing them, here is a link for it, it seems to do the job :D .

I must agree with Chris that a draw is the place to keep them :!:

Back