Storing lumber vertically?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJC

Established Member
Reaction score
So ideally we store sawn lumber flat, to keep it flat. I'm aware that leaning it at an angle is less than ideal, but if it's stored completely vertical and straight is that an improvement on at an angle?

It would only be a slight improvement. Stored flat the weight of the boards above help prevent twisting and of course you can add more weight on top too. If storing upright is the only option then don't leave it like that for too long. Our local hardware /DIY store has vertical racks of boards for sale and it is a real shame as up to half of it is too bent and twisted to use.
Regards
John

I stored my timber upright for several years with very few problems, but last year I changed to horizontal storage (not ply) on adjustable height brackets from Wickes. I find this system looks much tidier and is easier to access. Boards that are less than 1m I still store vertically, below the bottom brackets.

John

Normally I'd stack and stick horizontally; wet stuff will need weight or straps to keep it in shape.

The exception to this is Sycamore, which is initially dried end-up after first sawing to dry the surface and prevent staining.

Surely it's only timber as it's falling?

Tree > Timber > Lumber?

Our local hardware /DIY store has vertical racks of boards for sale and it is a real shame as up to half of it is too bent and twisted to use.

I bet it was like that even before it entered the store!

Storing fully dried boards vertically isn't a problem. Take some of the finest yards in the UK, like Tylers or Timberline. They have racks and racks of super premium boards, priced at over £1000 a cube, all stored vertically. And of course some woods, such as Sycamore for example, are often stored vertically even during the drying process to prevent sticker stain, it's called "end rearing" and is accepted practise.

I was going by what I had observed as the place I get good wood from stores it flat. The point about fully dry is taken on board. The thing that gets me is the building timber out the back is all kept flat and the more expensive dressed timber in the main aisles are upright and often in poor shape.
Regards
John

Back