Storing kiln-dried oak outside

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy 25-30 boards of 32 mm thick kiln-dried oak (2 - 2,5 m long). I will build a king-size bed from it and I will keep the rest for other furniture for my house. As my workshop is very small and my timber storage rack is still almost full, I need to store it outside.

I know that I should put some wooden posts under the bottom boards to lift them from the ground and use stickers to allow air circulation.

My question is if I should fully enclose the wood with tarp or should I only cover the top with a slight overhang to allow more air inside and prevent mold creation. I am afraid of side rain/snow, if the sides will not be covered with tarp.

What is better?

Thanks.

I would be inclined to minimise air circulation as that will just increase exposure to the humid atmosphere. The timber is kiln dried so it will absorb moisture if at all possible. How long are you planning to keep it outside before using it?
Brian

I would be inclined to minimise air circulation as that will just increase exposure to the humid atmosphere. The timber is kiln dried so it will absorb moisture if at all possible. How long are you planning to keep it outside before using it?
Brian
Hello Brian,

I will use maybe 20 percent of it right now, so I will just cut off the bark and move it inside. The rest will be out indefinitely, as I am buying it as the price is quite reasonable now and I do not know how much higher it will go with unexpected world events.

If you build a tent of tarp or plastic over the stack then moisture from the ground will evaporate during the hot day and condense on the tarp at night leading to a very moist enclosure and mould growth on the wood. A well vented stack off the ground protected from rain by a ply or corrugated iron roof is the way to go , you can add sides of scaffolders mesh to keep out driving rain if that might be a problem. The wood will go to equilibrium moisture content outdoors but a few weeks indoors before use will bring it to indoor dryness.

Jones’ advice is good. Chances are your timber has been stored in some sort of open air but roofed shed or similar since it has been kilned anyway. Let the air get at it but keep the moisture off if you can’t keep it indoors.

If you build a tent of tarp or plastic over the stack then moisture from the ground will evaporate during the hot day and condense on the tarp at night leading to a very moist enclosure and mould growth on the wood. A well vented stack off the ground protected from rain by a ply or corrugated iron roof is the way to go , you can add sides of scaffolders mesh to keep out driving rain if that might be a problem. The wood will go to equilibrium moisture content outdoors but a few weeks indoors before use will bring it to indoor dryness.
Thank you Jones,

I will do it as you have suggested.

Back