Storing greenhouse glass !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
I'll need to dismantle a large ali greenhouse soon and stack it out of the way for a while and/or sell it on perhaps.

If I remember back a few years ago I did the same with a smaller cheaper B&Q type one and put a sheet of newspaper between each of the panes of glass and then stored them vertically or thereabouts, but had a bit of a problem later with suction formed between sheets and/or the paper being a mess to remove after they got wet outdoors.

Any ideas on best way to store the glass outdoors ? These panes are full size ones so probably about 5' long by 2' so not easiest to store and not cheap to replace !

I recall that when we had our double glazing replaced a few years ago the new glazing units had small blue plastic stickers dotted around on them, perhaps 20mm square and 2 to 3mm thick, to separate the units, and that would do the trick and be easy to remove later but can't figure what to search for on ebay, the various permutations I've tried haven't turned anything up.

Suppose I could use some wood battens or corrugated cardboard or something but suspect I'm overlooking something better/easier ?

Cheers, Paul

I would sell it and buy another when you need to. I tried storing one once and it was a disaster.

RobinBHM":3t3s8g2a said:
Glass transit pads or glass protection pads.

Available from http://www.affixit.co.uk

As Mark suggests, if you have a local double glazing manufacturer, I would try there first.

That's the ones ! :)

Thanks for that and the other suggestions chaps.

We may try and sell it, but it's a high quality professional one and would be a shame to see it go for a couple of hundred quid or free on gumtree when it cost many times more than that. Also the wrong time of year probably to try and sell but needs to be down and out of the way in the next few weeks. It's 14' x 6', custom made to fit a particular space, and sliding door at each end.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul
It may be a good time to sell it so the buyer has time to get the foundation ready and the thing erected before the growing season next Spring.

When the glass was delivered for our last greenhouse it came in a pallet built like a box to give protection all around.

Regards Keith

Good point Keith, and a pallet/box type arrangement was where my mind was heading if we do store it.

In the meantime it's up on gumtree and will later put it on ebay if no success, and after that will likely dismantle and store.

Checked the make and current prices and would cost around £1,200 to replace like for like these days, so not going to give it away :shock:

Cheers, Paul

Benchwayze":1qcle058 said:
Paul,

Could you use cooking foil to separate the sheets? Or would that be too expensive?

Not sure John, might work, but found the right spacer pads now although haven't checked if I can get them cheap locally yet. I'll hold off until I see how it sells (or more likely not !) on gumtree and then ebay, and if it doesn't go then I'll pick up some pads and knock up a crate of some sort I think.

Cheers, Paul

Just stack it on edge on some bits of timber. Cover it over the top to keep the weather out. It won't come to any harm or stick together. Sticky pads are more trouble than they are worth and have to be carefully cleaned off.

paulm":6vx6lmia said:
Benchwayze":6vx6lmia said:
Paul,

Could you use cooking foil to separate the sheets? Or would that be too expensive?

Not sure John, might work, but found the right spacer pads now although haven't checked if I can get them cheap locally yet. I'll hold off until I see how it sells (or more likely not !) on gumtree and then ebay, and if it doesn't go then I'll pick up some pads and knock up a crate of some sort I think.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul
I put a conservatory on E-Bay earlier this year with buyer to dismantle. I thought I would probably get between £50 and £100 and it sold for over £500. The buyer got his own builder to dismantle and take away. Maybe let your buyer do the dismantling so he can see how to put it back together and he would be responsible for any glass that got broken.
Regards Keith

Yes, that would be the ideal Keith, and thanks for the encouragement on the sale :) Last night I had the first enquiry on it from gumtree from a chap who wants to come and have a look :) So assuming he does actually come at some stage, and doesn't try and offer silly money, I might still be pleasantly surprised, although there are a lot of timewasters out there on gumtree !

We're having some building work done later in the year and the greenhouse is in the way of that and needs to go unfortunately, and we won't have space for it elsewhere in the garden any time soon sadly, so it needs to either sell and go or come down regardless next few weeks !

Cheers, Paul

Back