Storing Dried Timber outside undercover in sealed plastic sheets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I am curious whether anyone had done this or knows about it. I know a company near me who store either their timber or manmade boards outside undercover wrapped inside plastic sheets.

How effective is this? Do many companies do this? I guess if the bags are fully sealed it should mean no moisture enters or leaves. Although plastic might not be absolutely 100% impervious it's probably very close especially in thicker sheets.

I'm asking as I'm wondering about whether I could free up some space in my home workshop. Thanks

Some timber dealers do this on very short-term basis. I certainly wouldn't want to see wood stored like that for more than a week or two. I guess you could make some sort of argument for vacuum packing wood in plastic, if you had to, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Airflow and keeping the sun and rain off it are key. Wrapping in plastic; driving rain will get the damp in but it won’t get out so it’ll rot. Moisture levels will increase to match the ambient humidity, effectively air dried not kiln dried. Many yards store large thickness timbers to season and air dry, not seen many do the same with thin stock 2” or less. I’d be wary of moving lots of nice kiln dried timber to outside storage, I think your asking for movement problems and loss of timber quality.

F

Latest posts

Back