devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I am rather fortunate in having around :
20cu.ft softwood
5 cu.ft Teak
5 cu.ft Sycamore
4 cu.ft offcuts.

Has anyone seen a good outside store rack to solve my problems, would like to keep the timber reasonably dry as well?

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
dw i can keep some in my workshop for you :D :D i might have to use some of it to test if its still dry :roll: :roll:

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DW

It will all fit in my finishing shop :D :D :D

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Devonwoody,

I am faced with a similar problem. I recently acquired 12 mahogany boards 12ft long by 12"X2". My wood store is full already.

I am thinking about building a woodstore in the garden as a lean to to my shed. Idea is to mount this on some sleepers to give me 8inches off the soil/gravel. It would be about 5 ft wide, 8 ft tall and 14ft long with a sloped and felted roof. Double doors at front ( 4ft wide) and a double door in the side for access ( 6ft wide).

Materials would be 3 inch frame also forming the racks or rack attachment points. Ply outer cover with vapour barrier and clad somehow..maybe shiplap . Not sure how yet. Roof would initially be felt as this is quite cheap.

I guess my concerns would be damp, but if properly constructed should be dryish. Capacity would be about 330 cu ft with air gaps around the timber.

I even considered a plastic roof to allow some solar gain to dry the wood but am concerned that I hav'nt got a clue as to what I would be doing so its probably a bad idea.

Sorry to ramble on. I got the idea from an old NYW episode where te bearded master has a much larger lean to attached to his workshop.

regards
Alan

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
devonwoody":2ke39hrk said:
I am rather fortunate in having around :
20cu.ft softwood
5 cu.ft Teak
5 cu.ft Sycamore
4 cu.ft offcuts.

Has anyone seen a good outside store rack to solve my problems, would like to keep the timber reasonably dry as well?
If it is already low moisture I would be wary of putting it outside. Clear the loft of all that accumulated junk that has not seen the light of day for years and put it up there :lol: :lol: .
Less chance of it gaining excess moisture and should be nearer the end placing conditions.

Failing that space being available, I also have ample room and am willing to let you visit on a regular basis to see what it is developing into.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
beech1948":6pcm18k7 said:
I even considered a plastic roof to allow some solar gain to dry the wood but am concerned that I hav'nt got a clue as to what I would be doing so its probably a bad idea.
Alan

FWIW, my old man tried putting a clear plastic roof on his brick shed a few years ago and the condensation was unbelievable! Workbench was sodden! :shock:

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Yes the clear roof ideas was a bit of stupidity by me. I would'nt have a clue what I was doing. I've been reading about solar drying kilns on some US university sites and that got me thinking. I guess your right about the condensation issues.

Still I made a start today. Cleared the site ready for sleepers next weekend.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Devon... I'm in the same boat re lack of storage, but going outside isn't an option... the brats around here would make a fine bondfire out of it...

I've had to get creative instead... stock has to stay inside my tiny shop, so I went ariel... managed to squeeze around 50 ft of shelving onto dead space (above doors n windows for example) and at a push I can get around 30 cube into there... provided I suck in and walk sideways there's just enough room to work too...

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Guess I shall have to stop accumulating timber for a while. :oops:

It would most probably use up 30 cu.ft. building an outside store. :shock:

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Scott":394or4it said:
FWIW, my old man tried putting a clear plastic roof on his brick shed a few years ago and the condensation was unbelievable! Workbench was sodden! :shock:
FWIW, I have a triple-wall clear polycarbonate roof on my workshop and I've not had a drop of condensation.

Cheers, Alf

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf":3em3l1xn said:
Scott":3em3l1xn said:
FWIW, I have a triple-wall clear polycarbonate roof on my workshop and I've not had a drop of condensation.

Cheers, Alf
Perhaps that's because you dont breathe any hot air. :lol: