Storage Units for the contents of my workshop??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to the misses and I splitting up we're unfortunately going to need to sell up! So once we sell the house I will need to put most of my belongings into storage while I look for a new house to start over - this also includes the entire contents of my workshop.

So with this in mind, I was wondering what other people's experience is with Storage Units for their precious/expensive cast iron top machines?

I've looked around locally to get an idea of prices, and there's a Storage Giant locally, but it seems pretty expensive at £300/4weeks for a 200 sq ft unit. There's another one nearer me which are shipping containers which are insulted with a dehumidifier as standard, which is around half the price of the big chain, but i'm dubious as to whether i'd still end up with condensation/rust issues there?

I've also never moved workshop either, so that'll also be a learning curve! I will probably need to invest in an engine hoist to lift the big kit onto HD dollies or something. I was considering upgrading my table saw and planer/thicknesser, so it may be worth me considering selling those before the move, and buy new again once i'm settled in a new place.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Not condoning this but take your bed sheets put them in new engine oil and cover your machines.

Will help your machines and your healing!!!

. cheers James

Get some Silica gel crystals as well as covering up with oil or wax.
Sell off any tools/machines you think you can let go and replace at a later date.
And good luck for the future.

Not condoning this but take your bed sheets put them in new engine oil and cover your machines.

Will help your machines and your healing!!!

. cheers James
Thanks James, i'm sure that'll go down well!! :LOL:

Get some Silica gel crystals as well as covering up with oil or wax.
Sell off any tools/machines you think you can let go and replace at a later date.
And good luck for the future.
Thanks Phill. I've got some Axminster machine wax which i tend to use anyway, but would it be worth getting some VCI paper to lay over the exposed cast iron surfaces too?

I put a Myford planer away over 20+ago with only wax on beds, the rollers and some screws rusted but the beds stayed really good, I used to warm up the cast beds with a heat gun then apply wax and it soaked into the cast it must have helped.
If the misses hold tight to the blankets yes use some VCI paper on top of a coating of wax ( on the machines not the missis) I am sure you will be okay.

Any engine oil you have lying around will do the job at a pinch for little outlay, yes it may be a little messy but will wipe off,only advice I can offer is to think how long you want the storage unit for and budget for twice that long, also make a list and take pictures of your stuff both before and when loaded into the container.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Any engine oil you have lying around will do the job at a pinch for little outlay, yes it may be a little messy but will wipe off,only advice I can offer is to think how long you want the storage unit for and budget for twice that long, also make a list and take pictures of your stuff both before and when loaded into the container.
Hi Mark, sounds very sensible to record everything, but it sounds like you’ve had a bad experience with theft from a storage container?

Buy some acf50 (expensive but it goes a long way) and spray it lightly over all metal parts. You could also use acf50 grease on greased areas like wormscrews, gears etc. For cast iron table tops wipe a thin layer of acf50 then apply machine wax. Then cover it all as above.

Good luck for the next chapter!

Feel for you, it’s never good and in my case looking back I made some strange decisions- did some out of character things, nothing bad just a bit wierd.
As was said it will probably take a whole lot longer to get sorted than you imagine, sorry.

Buy some acf50 (expensive but it goes a long way) and spray it lightly over all metal parts. You could also use acf50 grease on greased areas like wormscrews, gears etc. For cast iron table tops wipe a thin layer of acf50 then apply machine wax. Then cover it all as above.

Good luck for the next chapter!
That acf50 stuff sounds like good stuff, thanks for the suggestion Mike!

Feel for you, it’s never good and in my case looking back I made some strange decisions- did some out of character things, nothing bad just a bit wierd.
As was said it will probably take a whole lot longer to get sorted than you imagine, sorry.
Thanks Cabinet man, it’s all a very weird situation, but i’m lucky that there’s plenty of space here at the moment to not be constantly under each other’s feet. I know things will take a while, as we need to get the bathrooms done out and a few other jobs to do to the house before we can advertise to atleast maximise how much we both walk away with… but it does unfortunately drag things out though

If you're planning to upgrade the big machines then I'd say sell the current ones and then you can rent a smaller unit and the savings can go towards your new machines.

Avoid exshipping containers like the plague!
They will sweat condsation and anything that touches the sides will suffer.
Go for the internal units in a larger building, the temperature variations will be less.

Bod

Avoid exshipping containers like the plague!
They will sweat condsation and anything that touches the sides will suffer.
Go for the internal units in a larger building, the temperature variations will be less.

Bod
That's what I was worried about with the shipping containers. They are advertised as being insulated and also have a dehumidifier in there too :(

Could you put them in a barn on a farm.

even though they are often not very well sealed or even open, there is lots of air flow - and they are generally cheap.

only good generally for heavy stuff that can’t be nicked.

I suggest you try asking on nextdoor or local Facebook groups.

commercial storage options will be expensive

sorry to hear about the split, I'd also highly recommend ACF50, it works better at preventing rust than anything else I have tried, working in a less than ideal damp garage.

sorry to hear about the split, I'd also highly recommend ACF50, it works better at preventing rust than anything else I have tried, working in a less than ideal damp garage.
Does it leave a residue?

The down side of oil is that it can leave a residue on the machine surface.

Cheers James

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

With regards to storing my stuff with someone i know, i'd rather not inconvenience anyone else, particularly as i have no idea how long i'll need to store stuff for... plus i'd rather things get stored somewhere that's very secure and insured for piece of mind.

Sounds like ACF-50 is the guy to get to protect my kit! Thanks

Photograph everything!
You will not in 2-10 years time remember what is in there. Some of mine has already been in store 9 year's, been added to last year, with no end in sight, this year, or may be next either.

Bod

I’ve been through the storage thing. I’d echo other’s advice and take a hard look at what is worth storing versus selling now and upgrading once a new home and workshop are in place.

That said, I’ve had a couple of machines in storage in a new, ventilated but in insulated container, and they’re completely unscathed, despite no precautions being taken. But the measures suggested would be a smart move, for peace of mind.

Back