Storage - good approach?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
My garage workshop is pretty appalling, single skin metal roof over block-work walls, chock full of timber and household stuff. The roof condenses and, while the weather stays out, the condensate drips onto whatever is below. I have to keep my archery equipment out there and it is suffering. I have to re-glue some inlays that have loosened presumably where the gelatin glue has got wet. Will bubble wrap protect woodwork from cold, damp and mould, or should I move on up to building cases and cabinets?

I put all my stuff into our old kitchen cabinets in my damp garage and the cabinets ended up covered in black mould and my stuff was still damp.

Two things, stop any water seeping under the garage walls by using black OB1 from Screwfix along the inside and outside bottom edges then line the inside of your roof with foil insulation. Loft Insulation | Building Supplies | Screwfix.com

If you can, fix battens to the underside of the roof (see if you can tie-wrap them up) then staple the foil to the battens.

hope this helps

If already cold and damp then wrapping in bubble wrap will not allow your wood to dry out and would i think cause you more problems :)

I bring timber into the house to dry out when I need to use it, and I have brought the affected pieces inside but my better half wants them back out asap. Luckily, all my woodworking uses small diameter (sub 4") round wood; cool and damp actually helps minimise shakes as it seasons. From March to November, the conditions are not too bad for storing things, except on hot summer days, and we don't get many of them,

Last edited:
Insulate the workshop is the only way. Insulated steel roofing sheets are good but can be expensive, foil bubble wrap insulation is easy to apply & works well.

I have seen companies who spray expanding foam onto roofs to stop condenastion and provide some insulation. Its supposed to stop drips and moisture collecting but not sure how effective it is.
Alasdair

Back