Storage Draw unit - 'Snap on' style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a draw unit for the workshop to hold all the small bits and pieces.

I know I could make one but I already have a decent bench on the 'to make' list and if I am not careful I will spend all my spare time making the workshop and no time producing any output!

So, back to the question. I am really after a Snap-on red mechanics style unit but the cost is prohibitive. There are loads of other makes, some very cheap, almost too cheap.

Does anyone have one or any good / bad experience to share?

Simon.

Simon,

I have been after a snap-on roll cabinet for a long time too. on ebay they go for as much as new. ps there is no resonable equivalent to snap-on, they are the best, i have looked at a lot of them and non of the mechanism and build come close to the snap on ones, and most of all the resale value for a 20 year old one is as good as a one year old one. they are the RR under the garage storage facilities.

But i have been looking at the us ebay and because of the strong pound i am contemplating of buying a new one from there. the new value in the states is better then the second hand value here in the UK

McLuma

Simon,

I have two roll cabs with drawer units on top. Neither are Snap-On though.

I have a "Stack-on" that I've had for about 12 or 13 years. It still works fine but it's not the best and the paint is starting to go.

The other is a Halfords Professional and is a much better piece of kit. I've had it for 3 or 4 years and it still looks like the day I bought it. They do all the foam and fixtures etc to "french fit" the drawers and all that. Ridiculously expensive for bits of foam but there's nothing like having everything in it's place. Never lose tools and can put my hand straight to everything.

Halfords sometimes flog these off cheap after Xmas (presumably if Santa hasn't needed as many as they thought!). I got mine for nearly 1/2 price in a Jan sale.

Simon

I have recently replaced a smaller box I had with a very large clarke professional range box which you can get from machine mart.
The clarke range is very good and mine is full of very heavy spanners
impact guns etc.
The main difference between the cheaper ranges is the slides.
The heavy duty range has ball bearing slides as apposed to friction slides.
I had a friction slide box for many years and it gave to problems at all the
heavy duty ones also tend to be made of a heavier gauge of steel.
I also have a second hand snap on box which lives in my fathers garage as I used to do a lot of work there and I can't say it's worth the money
they charge.
If it's for home use with light weight tools then go for one of the cheaper
clarke or similar box.

Mike

I

I do not want to puppy about them, but from hear-say nor the tools nor the cabinet is worth the mony, or actually the hasle of buying them

How about a more controversial viewpoint.

Snapon is too expensive, over-rated and poor value. They are metal as well thus attracting all sorts of greasy gubbins and rust.

So design and make a mobile tool chest from wood. Any size shape or design you could need is possible. Have a look at Plans-Now.com for ideas.

I'm planning on building a 1mx600x900 base with drawers and a cupboard and a top piece of yet undetermined size and shape. Design is to fit a particular spot in the workshop.

SVB,
I currently have the sealy versions...there are 2 types one with non ball bearing drawer runners and ones with. the non ball bearing drawer runners are similar to clarke...halfords etc but the ball bearing runner type which i've got are different class. Sealey is not normally a maker of tools i would buy but their proffesional range of tool boxs are good....i bought 16 at an auction and sold the lot bar 2 within 2 days.....i can recommend them.
Another one to consider is Cosco.....they do a very good version in stainless steel and the drawers run beautiful.

just be careful to get one with proper runners...this is what makes the difference to a good one or bad one

my tuppence worth

Ian

Latest posts

Back