stop finger print rust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Professional museum conservators (and several well-respected contributors to this site) set great store by the use of microcrystalline wax to protect both metal and wood. The most readily available seems to be Renaissance Wax. (There are several suppliers on Ebay). Having tried it myself, it does seem to be good stuff, and you don't need much. A small pot goes a very long way.

I love renaissance wax, lasts ages too and can leave a gorgeous finish as a final layer on woodwork.
Cheapest source I found for it was a wee site at www.sylmasta.com - don't know if it's still the best, but was less than any eBay seller at the time.
All the best, hope you enjoy the stuff.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FYI Chestnut's own brand of microcrystalline wax is quite a bit cheaper at £10 for 225ml, compared to £12 for 200ml of Renaissance wax.

Chestnut's does have a slightly softer consistency than the real stuff which I think makes it easier to apply since the Renaissance wax can clump especially when it starts to dry up in the tin.

HTH
Jon

Plain old 3 in 1 oil - any fine machine oil - works perfectly well as a means of rust prevention and without any need to invest in Renn Wax. For chisels I simply keep them in a leather tool roll treated with neatsfoot oil and the same for spare plane irons and scraper blades. I keep tools cased and tend not to rack tools unless they're in use. A cursory wipe with a lightly oiled - 3 in 1 - rag before putting things away normally keeps them in pristine condition and - in the case of planes - a periodic strip down & clean keeps rust at bay.

Tannin from timber tends to discolour tool steel more than hand sweat in my shop, but others may find their sweat is more acidic than average. Using barrier cream before and during work can often help, but - at the end of the day - tools can and will develop a patina all their own when used regularly.

Rusty fingers! That's a terrible affliction for a woodworker. A well known toolmaker once said to me of his very willing Saturday helper " I couldn't possibly give him a job, he's got rusty fingers, I find them everywhere, all over the machinery". Not a problem I have but the late lamented Jim Kingshott always used to recommend chainsaw oil. I have some and it is very effective against rust from a damp atmosphere because it is so persistent.

Jim

I use very cheap but enough dangerouse method.

For preventing rust from finger prints I use cosmetic oil for hands - liquid oil - stolen from my wife.
No money - she have bought it earlier, and she speak a lot when she saw WD-40 on the kitchen (my night woodshop).

Frankly spoken she doesn't know that I stolen this hand oil from her :lol: Just within 3-4 months she try to find this bottle. After shy buy a new one. So we have both bottle - she has it for hands, I have it for planes.

I suffer from rusty fingers although I only really notice it on my Lee Valley Planes. When I notice it, I just remove it with some webrax. I don't oil my planes - the only lubrication that goes near them is candle wax scribbled on the soles.

For preventing rust from finger prints I use cosmetic oil for hands - liquid oil - stolen from my wife.
No money - she have bought it earlier, and she speak a lot when she saw WD-40 on the kitchen (my night woodshop).

Yep, baby oil. Cheap, safe for your skin, smells OK. But not creams though, as they're a mixture of water and oil.

WD40 smells awful and engine oil's got all sorts of nasty additives.

Back